Longboy's "SIDE SHAFTER" Model Gas Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longboy

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look up "side shaft engine" on the internet, you get all your contemporary snow blower and rototiller utility engines displayed. For antique engines, the term refers to an external shaft driven by the crank to operate the valvetrain, provide ignition, drive a lube pump or engage a speed control governor. What if you laid out the crankshaft out to the side from a bank of vertical cylinders of a gas engine?
LNtS05Y.png

Longboy's "Side Shafter" engine.......... starting this weekend!

Oryb1NE.jpg

A 4x4 inch aluminum angle piece gets cut back to a 3x4 inch piece.
6fApLyq.jpg

In the vertical leg of the angle stock the web stub shafts will reside. The cylinders get the horizontal top side.
ySx55ml.jpg

Cylinder boring shown from a previous engine. A one inch bore to a 1.125 in. stroke for SIDE SHAFTER.
6zIyhDd.jpg

The brass bearing carriers installed for the crank webs. On each outboard end of the vertical face, a pair of aluminum blocks with their brass carriers for the crankshaft mount up to the framework.
JgVaC7U.jpg

I ordered some thin wall half inch long Oilite bushings for all the bearing carriers. Seemed like they would do the job! It was later when tuning over the engine under compression with the drill....they were not going to work for the kind of drive I'm using for SIDE SHAFTER. Seems like the internal clearance of these bushings to the shaft is just way too much. Not critical for the main shaft when spread out 8 inches from each other but for the stub shafts, they had to go. No shaft rocking in their carrier.
ZlOMkwu.jpg

I replaced them all with R1810ZZ rollers, main shaft too......and the problem went away! There is no thrust movement in the stub shafts. Spacers and retainers on each side of the carriers ride on the inner bearing race
ZB1qZSq.jpg

Box sections at each end supports the main angle piece. A pair of 3/4 inch angles and flat bar stock tied into the vertical and bearing carrier.
3BjzBQD.jpg

The frame is complete in five pieces! With the frame's main vertical as SIDE SHAFT's backbone, there will be no floor piece nor a longitudinal bar stock piece to complete another box with the main angle.
bIQdqbb.jpg

The bottom flat stock is cross slotted to give a positive lock in to the angle stock with one 6-32 screw from the bottom. Some rubber feet will find their way to each end. Though it may look to be too short to support the cylinders, head and all its components without tipping to the left, to the right of the backbone go items to give a neutral left to right weight bias each side of the backbone.....including a flywheel!

Tecumseh points find themselves on on some flat stock to be bolted to the bearing carrier stock under the cam trigger on shaft to the inside of the frame member.
TltHgqq.jpg

Sw3F0vv.jpg

Automatic intake valves get their own assembly mounted to the cyl. head. 3/8 x 3/4 inch flat stock cage in the valve guides. Overlaid to each other with the o-ring seals and bolted together.
ndP6PYj.jpg

The radiators with their cyl. liners make the premier upon the deck of SIDE SHAFTER. Three 4-40 screws run up through the deck into the radiators.
ajJBvuI.jpg

The crank webs get dressed with their Traxxas drive members.
SAKvrQH.jpg

And the webs are balanced to the piston/rod assemblies. A brass counterweight will also be added to the backside.
sakkRR1.jpg

Bringing the power strokes over to the crankshaft via the stub shafts are a pair of bevel gears. The drive being on the #4 cylinder as it is closest to the shaft bearing and carries the most load with the flywheel mounted.
pTX8NK8.jpg

Continuing the all star lineup of power distribution and allocation, cylinders 1 and 3 get some brass pulleys to turn the cooling fans. Now cylinder 2....was just too darn lazy to do anything for me!
4mfg0bZ.png

Longboy, it is looking good! One thing I have been puzzling over: under each cylinder is a brass bearing with a short shaft. When I looked at the first picture in your last post, I think I now understand that at least one of these is geared from the crank shaft to bring the motion out to the side mounted cam shaft. But in the last picture above, it now is looking to me like each of these is geared to the crank shaft - is that correct? A very, very interesting design!

....... motion out to the side mounted cam shaft. But in the last picture above, it now is looking to me like each of these is geared to the crank shaft - is that correct? A very, very interesting design!
Thanks awake. You are somewhat on the right track. Let me give you a cryptic response! All four cylinders power the crankshaft through the bevel gears.....but the bevel gears are not connected to a cam shaft.

A single piece cylinder head is bored into about 5/16 inch depth on 2 inch centers.
9IeqYjq.jpg

EdG8JDz.jpg

And I got a line up match upon the cylinders!
GhRclh1.jpg

Sixteen 4-40 SS socketheads will draw down on the radiators.
qUvXK4j.jpg

One spark plug and one ex. valve in the chamber. A tapered cut around the circumference of the chamber for the O-ring seal and a push rod hole near the edge.
rzdrEuB.png

And on the top side some recessed boring for the rocker arm pedestals. At the sides, porting for in./ex. flow.
T40qzig.jpg

Coming around the side of the rocker pedestal, the exhaust port to the outside.
kX1xcVn.jpg

SIDE SHAFTER will get a pair of brass, aluminum , copper mufflers. The brass tubes are end threaded and cross drilled to mount the mufflers and allow the gases to enter the copper canister.
XfUm5ne.jpg

5HJIRLp.jpg

The camshaft on the cylinder side of the backbone. Three bearings, roller behind the sprocket guard and a pair of brass bushings along the length. Individual lobes will be slid upon the shaft and locked in place with set screws.
jecbAZB.jpg

20/40T MXL sprockets for the drive.
dtlQXU3.jpg

A pair of 24T MOD .5 brass bevel gears bring the the drive over to the distributor. The distributor shaft rises at an angle through the backbone to clear the forward frame box section.
kNl1cB9.png

Last edited:
A pair of PVC bulkhead fittings form the shrouding for these 2 inch fans. There is a pedestal mount under the hex, single 6-32 bolt through the top.
jqpgAn4.jpg

Delrin pulley on shaft through the fan into a R166 roller bearing in pedestal.
YHrP7J1.png

There is enough room to place the O-ring belt between the pulley and points cam. The fans turn counter clockwise and push air across the radiators and the drive ratio is about 2.3:1.
Z1F0INh.jpg

clay-illustration-of-a-3d-carnival-barker-man-announcing-with-a-megaphone-by-amy-vangsgard-97.jpg

:) Come see this weekend's presentation of SIDE SHAFTER !!!
bWB9b5a.jpg

Welcome to my presentation of the Longboy SIDE SHAFTER engine. ;)
aPxyyE2.jpg

This build began the first week of November.
KhJ1tTP.jpg

Engine completed the middle of February.
RLnfF79.jpg

Side Shafter's unique features begin with an off set crankshaft parallel to the cylinders.
tIQi0Bm.jpg

Made possible by gearing the four cylinders through their crank webs.
VUKW167.jpg

Ziuxmee.jpg

Atmospheric intake valve block.
948GoE8.jpg

Composite metals flywheel.
ipo49sx.jpg

1 in. bore by 1.06 in. stroke......55cc's. See it running! :D Dave.
0zJu6nB.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back