Long term project ideas?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
First of all I want to wish everyone here a really big thank you for, well being here. This is such a fantastic forum that has been of great assistance to me already.

I am looking for a long term project to start reading up on planning etc. Initially I had wanted to build a loco but to to no availability of tracks in area this is a bit of a non-starter. The only thing I have found locally is an indoor group that go up to Gauge 0 and they don't seem 100% open to live steam. I was hoping to find something a little larger, say 3 1/2". End game is I want to build something that I can use, and store practically.

I already have the G1MRA books for project and Dee, along with the 'A Dream come true' Little Samson books. I like to read before I do! As stated above it looks like the loco is going to be a non starter, due to lack of tracks and too small a garden ;D, the Little Samson is very tempting but long term storage could be a problem for me as the end model seems quite large overall. Anything built would need to be stored in a single garage, with my car and everything else that goes in a garage. I have a separate workshop indoors.

I know this is a very open ended question, but does anyone have any ideas or thoughts? Parts would largely need to be produced using a Mini-Lathe and mini-Mill, though I do have access to larger machines if needed. My experience and ability is frankly still limited, but I am very open and honest about it, I get better everyday.

Thanks in advance.

How about a steam traction engine...no tracks needed!!

Bill

How about a model steamboat....or a real one!

Dave

You will like this one Dave.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osNluWPOpJ0[/ame]

"Bill Gruby"

The Bogstandard "Paddleducks" engine that several members here have built would be a decent project, esp. if you connected it with a boiler.

Wow. Thanks for all the great posts so far folks. Just goes to prove how helpful everyone here is.

The Bogs Puddleducks engine is already in my build list. Along with many others! The Little Samson TE is a strong possibility I have to admit. My main worry with that is the size of the parts vs the size of my machines. But then that is a good excuse for an upgrade.

Any boats would need to be open water as we don't have any inland water here. Jersey is a very small island (9 miles by 5) just off the coast of France.

There are plenty of other traction engines smaller than the 3" LS.

My 2" Fowler is 34" long when complete or a simpler build would be the Minnie in 2" scale at 36" long. Also in 2" there is the Durham & North Yorks or the smaller tractors like teh Burrell GMT and Ruston & Proctor SD which are both around 28" long

If these are still a bit big then the 1 1/2" Allchin or the 1" Minnie like my avitar, you can store that on a mantle piece or in my case a window cill.

The problem with thes esmaller engines is they are not a seasy to steam and won't have the same pulling power, the Fowler and 2" Minnie will pull 2 adunts on firm ground.

Forget these boats, you still need to find a lake ;)

J

Half size motorcycle for the kids/grandkids???? ;D Would be really nice to see some others about

One of these days I would love to build a hoglet....

If there is anyone who would like to sell the two editions of MEB with it in and post to the UK i'd be greatful - ive contacted them but got no reply.

Rob.

Forget these boats, you still need to find a lake

Rof}

Latest posts

Back