Lombard Hauler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed

Reaction score
100_5784.JPG 100_5786.JPG

I'm building a longtime project. The lombard hauler is a project that is in Livestrem & outdoor railroad magazine. It stared in the March April 2018 issue.I started the build the first April, it's now the end of October and i'm still working on the first part of the build. I've finished the parts for the track and started to put the track together.
62 track plates
62 rollers
124 washers
62 pins
I might be a long time between postings a lot of small parts. I work on it every day, a lot of steps.

Hi Ed,

Thats my model/article in Live Steam magazine, great to see someone working on a Lombard model from it! They are incredible machines, only a handful are still around. I was just up at the logging museum in Maine a few weeks ago when they ran their real one for the weekend, and was talking to one of the regulars there that is almost done gathering up parts from the woods/collectors to get another one back in one piece and running.

I'll be checking in on your build, hope it all goes well!

Chris

Thanks for putting in the link Kvom - was not sure if it was accepted to link to other sites or not.

Ed, any questions I can help with please let me know. I have LOTS of photos of the original machine up in Maine, plus more of my build. I'd be interested to see the jig changes, there are always lots of ways to solve any problem, and its interesting to see them.

BTW - there seem to be two copies of this thread on the Work In Progress forum with different replies? Can they be combined into one somehow?

And for those who have not seen what a Lombard Hauler is, here is a video I took of the real thing last month at the Maine logging museum:

And some footage of my version of the model running:

And for those who have not seen what a Lombard Hauler is, here is a video I took of the real thing last month at the Maine logging museum:

And some footage of my version of the model running:

I have never seen Lombard Hauler.
Thanks for share !

When I was drilling the hole in the pin I was having problems with the pin turning in the fixture breaking the drill bits. I put in a lock screw as in the photo. Worked 100_5789.JPG good.

Nice idea - have to remember that one.

A slow build but the threads are done. Working on the sprockets.I'm known as the cheap want to be machinist as you can see by the materials I use. The sprockets are made out of sea wall sheathing. This is the setup for drilling the holes in the sprockets. I'll keep plugging along. At least I'm making chips. 100_5793.JPG 100_5795.JPG 100_5797.JPG 100_5798.JPG 100_5801.JPG

Back