Logins Won't Stick

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWRdriver

Reaction score
Browser: Firefox 7.0.1

I've recently cranked up a new PC with the above programs and now on several boards (including this one) I can no longer get login IDs and passwords to stay logged in permanently, so I have re-enter these each time I log in. With older versions of the OS and browser I never had this problem. What's causing it?

Sounds like the machine is not allowing cookies to remember the access settings for the websites. I'd be inclined to have a rummage round the security settings. HTH.

Pete

Harry,

I have had exactly the same problem with mine last week, but using XP prof 64 and 8.01 Firefox. Internet explorer worked just fine, except for the other bugs in it. It also stops things like the spell checker and ad blockers working as well.

This was with a brand new installation of XP, nothing different from the last install, just this time the 'remember passwords' wouldn't work, so you had to log into every site again each time you opened it, a real PITA. We are not alone, when I did a web search, many, many people had the same problem. It worked perfectly, just the once, so I suspect something was written to the registry or somewhere else, and that causes the problem.

I installed all the Firefox ones back to #6, no change.

So now I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium, and everything is running just fine, except I am finding it a little too friendly, I am just going thru all the settings to turn everything off, otherwise you see balloons popping up all over the place, it gets in the way of using the computer.

John

Bogstandard said:
Harry, . . I have installed Windows 7, and everything is running just fine, except I am finding it a little too friendly, . . .
I know what you mean. Before long I won't be surprised to hear a voice dulcet ask me "Harry, . . do you really want to say that?" I won't be happy about it, . . . but I won't be surprised.

Bogstandard said:
I had exactly the same problem with mine last week, . . . had to log into every site again each time you opened it, a real PITA. - John
John,
Mine has only become worse, or more irritating, as I sequentially visit all my old sites with the new setup. Wot a PITA.
Harry

If you are using Firefox, click the tools button at the top of the browser and click Options.
Then click the Security tab at the top of that window and see if the
"Remember passwords for sites" box is checked.

If it is the problem is in Windows security settings.

Rick

No luck fiddling with Windoze . . . looks like I need professional help (. . . but then I've been told that for years.)

Latest posts

Back