Locomobile steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I machined the 2 reversing links by cutting 2 pieces of 1/4 cold rolled steel and drilling 2 of the holes. I then made a fixture for my rotary table so I could machine the radii. I worked out well

linkarm set up.jpg

reversing link arms.jpg

Lovely work. Steam cars are very interesting.
I like seeing this engine come together.

Brock

I have not decided. I have been working on this engine for so long, I may need a different project for a while to take a break.

I have even thought about putting it on a bicycle

Mike

I have not decided. I have been working on this engine for so long, I may need a different project for a while to take a break.

I have even thought about putting it on a bicycle

Mike

I have a great drawing of an early steam motorbike if you would like to see it.

I would love to see the drawing
thank you

This is what I have. This would be a perfect steam motorbike platform for your Locomobile. There is a lot of length to lay the engine horizontally, like a Stanley engine. I would love to build the frame in aluminum and have it clear anodized. This would make a handsome contrast with the bronze metals.

Giovanni
Thanks, that is cool.
That would take some time to build!!!
Mike

I think the frame is a very practical design for fitting all of the components. It would even work for an electric motorbike.

I, Thanks for this new possibility of applications, and generate sommes questions.

- what is the source and age of this bicycle article ?
- and it's possible to operate it with CO2 gaz?
and for mnay, i have search the article in steam review and unfotunately i have not find it.
Its be possible to have copie of this article of stanley steam car?

Thanks, Procule

Giovanni,
Thanks for the information. I will check it out.
Mike

Tanks a lot for information Giovanni!

Excuse for delay.

I have the collection of 17 volume ''mecanics popular'' but 1950 edition.
Incridible source of information.

Tanks again

Procule

Not too much exciting to show, but I completed a couple of handfuls of parts.
I machined the valve end connections, the nuts to move the steam valves and the top brackets that hold the cross rods. I had to make the brackets as an addition because they normally would have been part of the castings but I am machining from bar stock and changing the design for my convenience in addition to scaling up from the plans

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

After a few weeks of distractions and yard work, I have finally gotten back to my project.
After studying the plans and the engine I have discovered to my delight that I am close to finishing.

I was able to fabricate and machine the 2 lifting arms and the reversing lever.

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

I had previously build the pistons for this engine with the intent of making a carbon teflon rider ring in the center of the piston. I decided to go back to the original plan and machined a couple of pistons from cast iron. I will be making some cast iron rings next.

IMG_0585.jpg

I made 4 cast iron rings to fit the pistons, using the wing-it method.
I machined the rings .050 over size, but with the correct radial thickness. I then machined a mandrel to fit the id of the rings after they were split and compressed, then turned the od to fit the cylinder bore.
they worked out perfectly and I got them all on without breaking one.
Lucky......

basic ring.jpg

split ring.jpg

ring mandrel.jpg

With the rings installed on the piston I had to machine a ring compressor sleeve in order to install the piston and rings into the cylinder. The photo is self explanatory. It worked great..

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

All of the parts have been machined. I was not patient enough to deburr and paint everything and wanted to test run so I deburred everything and assembled from the top down. I took me awhile to figure out how to time the valves, but it worked the first time I put air to it!!!!!!!Finally

[ame]http://youtu.be/Orpe3QFdWLQ[/ame]

Latest posts

Back