Locomobile steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you.
My friend created the drawings from parts and image archives.
I will be building cast and machined engine kits but no plans. Sorry. I have too much invested in this project.

After a long break and many family and home interuptions I am finally back to my project.
Here's where I left off.....

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

I pulled the crosshead guide/standards from the engine, cut the temporary ends off and bored them for a ball bearing and couple of mounting holes.

More to come, soon I hope

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

photo5.JPG

I have read that the Stanley engine would theoretically generate 500HP given enough steam. The 20HP rating was based on the capability of the boiler. Nice project.

Thanks KVOM
Yes, the Stanley's would develop a lot of HP but they would run very high steam pressure, over 500PSI
Mike

Small progress this last week. I machined the slide valves and valve rods.

photo.JPG

Progress is progress no matter how much. Looking good!!

A few more parts made.
I got the crank throws and the connecting rods almost finished.
Had one small problem with the connecting rods. I build them to the plan, but they hit the cross-head guide as they stroked, so I had to radius the corners and neck down the small end to clear everything. Does not look as pretty but it will work ok.

cnc rod blanks.jpeg

finished crank throw.JPG

rough mill con rod.jpeg

finished con rod.jpeg

I got the con rods complete and finally whittled down so they would stroke in the crosshead guides. I also had to machine a bevel in the crosshead guides to clear the rods, but it all worked out. The power side is fitted together. Just need to get the valve train made.

Gettin' closer!!!!!

IMG_0379.jpg

I Mnay, on the picture of cylinder we can read, on the bdrawing, 1 1/2 inch off diameter it real?

In fact wath is the diametre an stroke of the stanley moteur? and what dimention you have used for your work?

Thank in advance

Procule

Yes, my engine has 1-1/2 cylinder bore. I am scaling it up from an article in Live Steam Magazine which had a 1" cylinder bore.
I wanted to build an engine similar to the Stanley engine
Those are neat cars. Who do they belong to?
Mike

I Mike

definitively those cars ares realy nice.

You things than the original diameter of cylinder was 1 1/2 po? and can generate 20 HP?

because, the external motor diameter of my picture seam to be around 4 ".

I let a nicer picture of stanley steamer of the same museum

Stanley roadster rouge.jpg

The original cylinder bores on the Stanley were not 1-1/2, that is the bore size for the model engine I am building.
It is not a full size Stanley engine, it is a model built from Plans in Live Steam Magazine, scaled up

Thanks a lot for your post mike

Your work are very well done and give inspiration

And for me, help my comprehension of that motor

Procule

I am finally back to work on the engine after many weeks of distractions.
I am working on the valve con rods now. I started with 4 blanks that were roughed out in the cnc at work and then started the finish work at home.
I have 4 of them 75% complete now

IMG_0404.jpg

photo7.JPG

I have made a little more progress. I have machined the 4 eccentrics for the valve rods.
I machined the concentric side first and then center drilled the offset hole. I then set it up in the 4 jaw and dialed to the offset center using a good dead center in the hole

dial eccentric.jpg

eccentrics.jpg

Back