Locktight for loco wheels

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzie46

Reaction score

What kind of clearance between axle and wheel bore should I have to locktight 5 guage wheels to the axles? This is for my Simplex.

Ron

Depends on which loctite you use. If you are using 620 that will work on gaps up to .015.
But I always shoot for a nice slip fit of .0005 to no more than.001 oversize.

ozzie46 said:
What kind of clearance between axle and wheel bore should I have to locktight 5 guage wheels to the axles? This is for my Simplex.

Ron

I would shoot for a .001" clearance. A clearance smaller will begin to resemble a light press fit (depending on the finish of the bore), and any gap greater than that will require the use of a line up fixture, or you may end up with an objectionable wobble. With a smaller clearance of .001 to .005" the right stuff is Loctite #609, its for slip and press fits, up to .005". The higher #'s (like #680, for example) are too thick for a good gap fill.

I'm no expert, that's just my opinion.

Edit; I just double checked and you can also use #675 for gaps up to .005", it has the same viscosity index of 125. So, you have two choices unless your fits exceed the product limitation of .005" max gap. The only difference is that the #609 has a 10 min fixture time, and #675 is 20 minutes. Full cure is 24 hours for both products.

-MB

MB and doc1955 thanks for the quick response

I was using the term "locktight" generically as I seem to b e able to find the permatex brand as sold by NAPA easier than the real Locktight brand. I have some permatex that is for sleeves and bearings and is supposed to be permenant after it has set up. Has anyone got any experience with this?

Ron

No problem, Ron.
Permatex was purchased by Loctite a few years back to give them a distribution network into the consumer market. In most cases the last three digits of the Permatex part number are the same as the Loctite grade and is the same material. If the last three digits begin with a 6 you should be OK. IE 609, 640 or 680. Just be sure to clean both surfaces with a no residue solvent such as acetone, alcohol, or most brake cleaners.
Gail in NM

just be careful, some of the loctites will need heat on then if you want to take apart. the blue242will not need heat to get apart the red271will.i would have a slip of .0005 to .oo1 and use the blue 420 then if you need to take then off you just need to press then apart. good luck jonesie

Thanks Gail, thats goods to know.

jonesie, I don't foresee taking them off but you never know. I just don't want them slipping on the axles. I'll shoot for .001. Thanks

Ron

Ron
Pueblo Bearing has the loctite Brand. Don

Back