Line boring bar idea

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently I am missing something on G H Thomas books. I am not familiar with them so I looked on Amazon and the price is $218. They would have to be pretty spectacular at that price. Are the books available somewhere at a reasonable price?

I think the Amazon price is Amazing!
Get them for the Tee price plus postage -- and really enjoy the way that pedantic old guy clearly arrived at things. All of his stuff links together.

When my Model Engineers Workshop manual was barely readable from use, I didn't quibble and bought a new copy

I feel your pain, but on a positive note, it's less than $218! ;) At £40.57 a book with shipping it's over $70 Canadian and I noticed that if you order both books, they don't combine shipping, it's just doubled.
But this is a Manual and includes things like a rotary table from scratch, tool turrets, grinding, improvements to top slides, how to screwcut and how to cut to a tenth of a thous-- di dah di whilst Workshop Techniques discusses the intrigue of a one hole division plate. I have one and I have a small dividing head.

But a man convinced against his will \is of the same opinion still

Apparently I am missing something on G H Thomas books. I am not familiar with them so I looked on Amazon and the price is $218. They would have to be pretty spectacular at that price. Are the books available somewhere at a reasonable price?

Try Abe books ! Or Tee publishing.

Edit: I see "Tee Publishing" has already been mentioned !

Part of the problem with books published before 1973 is that the USA refused to abide by the internationally accepted copyright rules until that year.

Before 1973 you had to pay to copyright material in the USA but copyright was acknowledged as a free “right” in the rest of the world (printed on the fly leaf of many UK books published before 1973 are the words “Not for sale in the USA or Canada”)

The large scale, official export of older, reprinted texts is often avoided due to the resulting copyright confusion - see:

https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain_in_the_United_States
Ian

There's a youtube channel I watch, a repair machinist, that shows the making of a large line boring bar that may be of interest to his technique and usage:
3 part series

Keith Fenner also shows a line bore setup for a large engine block main bearings. This set of videos may be helpful to anyone with too small a machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3F07Z8uRkg

Latest posts

Back