Let's talk milling machines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That type has been around since 1970's.
They just to many horizontal mills around at time.

Today with rent going up, labor going going up and shops need more from producing they looking back the old days.

My self in my shop had 2# size horizontal mill production.
You use more than cutter at time and increases in feed at least 20 times and thin cut over 100 times faster.

Dave

has anybody got one of these:
Grizzly G0757 - 9" x 39" 2 HP Horizontal/Vertical Mill with Power Feed

I'm thimpfking of buying one but want to know what other people thimpfk. There are only two reviews on it in the Grizz site. Does anyone know anything about it?

Here is site on data on Big Red mill.
https://groups.io/g/Drillmillhttps://groups.io/g/Drillmill
Here power feed on my mill
Big Red Mill.gif

Big Red! I have one of those, converted to variable speed with a treadmill motor, and a different but comparable home-made fine-feed and quill DRO as I can see in your pictures. But my unit has been sitting unused for the last two or three years - I found a good price on a 2J Bridgeport and have found it so much more capable that I have simply never used the mill drill except as a shelf. I thought I would hold onto it to be a second-op mill or to serve as a semi-precision drill station, but it hasn't happened yet ...

Hi Guys,

Talking about fixturing this is how I fastened my 6X4 bandsaw body to the mill table in order to mill out the slot that the blade drops into. I put a solid metal block in there in order to support cutting thin slices of material.

View attachment 126418
I used three pieces of M8 threaded rod to hold it and stop it moving.
Baron, I would love to hear more about the modifications you have made to your 4x6 bandsaw!

Just because I am desperate for some sympathy.

Malicious Joy is what I will cause :)
A chip conveyor is a nice bragging rig, until the weekend comes were you decide to clean it. Uuuuugh....
so when thinking of nicer bigger machines, think of the downsides.
Compressor permanently running, filthy coolant tanks, noise, oil consumption.
More bigger not always more better.... !
K1600_IMG_3979.JPGK1600_IMG_3981.JPG

Good luck I found a professional recycler who picks up the old waste.

Greetings Timo

Timo,

Man... that's just bragging... like the guy complaining that he pays $1 000 000.00 tax every year ;)

But yes, you have my sympathy - I battle to just clear the chip tray below my lathe every week or two 😇

Just because I am desperate for some sympathy.

Malicious Joy is what I will cause :)
A chip conveyor is a nice bragging rig, until the weekend comes were you decide to clean it. Uuuuugh....
so when thinking of nicer bigger machines, think of the downsides.
Compressor permanently running, filthy coolant tanks, noise, oil consumption.
More bigger not always more better.... !

Good luck I found a professional recycler who picks up the old waste.

Greetings Timo
An airstone bubbler and an oil skimmer will save a lot of the costs of dumping and refilling it by prolonging the life of the coolant. Not sure what it's like where you are but in Canada getting rid of the old coolant is often as expensive or more than the original cost of the coolant if you go with the companies that specialize in that. Luckily, our local, government contracted recycling depots will accept the coolant for free if you bring it in.

An airstone bubbler and an oil skimmer will save a lot of the costs of dumping and refilling it by prolonging the life of the coolant. Not sure what it's like where you are but in Canada getting rid of the old coolant is often as expensive or more than the original cost of the coolant if you go with the companies that specialize in that. Luckily, our local, government contracted recycling depots will accept the coolant for free if you bring it in.
Thank you for commenting,

Is that airstone bubbler one like in a fish tank? I mean, could I even use one for an aquarium? There is a disc oil skimmer on the tank that takes care of the worst. ( oilskimmer was not working properly, causing extra trouble. Fixed it some time ago)
Some company offered to pick the old **** up (Taiwan, a high density of machine shops). I am reliefed that it will not be very expensive.

Today I am procrastinating posting things in the forum, instead of cleaning the machine. :cool:

Cheers Timo

Is that airstone bubbler one like in a fish tank? I mean, could I even use one for an aquarium? There is a disc oil skimmer on the tank that takes care of the worst. ( oilskimmer was not working properly, causing extra trouble. Fixed it some time ago)
Some company offered to pick the old **** up (Taiwan, a high density of machine shops). I am reliefed that it will not be very expensive.

Today I am procrastinating posting things in the forum, instead of cleaning the machine. :cool:

Cheers Timo
Yes, air stones for aquariums work and just a aquarium air pump. You have to clean the air stones every week or so but it's a minor inconvenience compared to removing the primordial slime in the sump, I can understand the procrastination .:)

Latest posts

Back