Let there be light!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the eBay ones.... Follow my thread on cnczone... You will soon find out the eBay ones are junk. You get a free lighted switch too!

As for the adapter, yes any dc adapter will work from 9-18vdc, but the voltage would change the brightness, the amperage of the adapter will more than likely be more than enough. I run my light at 12.7vdc and its VERY bright.

Quote:You will soon find out the eBay ones are junk

are you speaking from experience? if so which ones did you use?

Lawrence

Others in that thread have experience, go read the "huge" thread. Are you good at applying "doming resin"?

I would but I'm always on my phone, sorry, its a pain, but I believe it is the same title as this just on cnczone.

Hello There!
I bought one of these LED light rings for $4.40 incl P&P to Australia. (Delivered in 10 working days). Fitted it to my Seig X-2 equivalent mill today using an old 12v power supply. I was worried too about the durability of this unit (as I didn't want to cop a loss on my $4.40 investment...) and so made a perspex/lexan cover disc to protect the lights. Works brilliantly (sorry for the pun, but it helps illuminate the narrative...).
Thanks to all those who have brought this to my attention. The really good thing about it is no shadows when machining, as often occurs from a side light on the job/tool.
Steamboat Willie.

Glad people are getting some use out of this.

HOLY DOOLEY those prices are ridiculous......have a search on alibaba.com they are sure to have them cheap.

Just purchased an 80mm ring from Superbrightleds.com out of Missouri. Have purchased from them before and had good luck. They also have plastic covers for them also. We will give it a try and see what happens.

Really like this idea, shame I've only just found it otherwise it would've made a great Christmas present for someone I know.

I can't seem to find a supplier in the UK that does these with the resin protection that yours seems to have. I have found a company that can supply a very small amount of clear doming resin (40ml) so I could make my own from one of the cheapo HongKong based ones. The resin is almost three times the price of two rings though!

Does anyone know of a UK based LED ring suitable before I go and spend money [FONT=&quot]unnecessarily[/FONT]? I will be taking a holiday in Miami in april so possibly could get on in the states whilst Im over there...

My SX3 is being delivered TODAY :D and I already want to buy toys for it (if the missus sees this post I don't expect me to be around much longer :hDe:).

Rob. :)

An easy option is to cut a ring out of a sheet of polycarbonate and glue up thin strips to cover the OD and ID.

How about potting it in high temp silicone? Clear stuff will take any heat (minor), not reduce light output significantly, and last for many years.

I think that the matter can be tested to see what heat-if any is generated.
If it is substantial, Rleete is quite correct in saying that high temperature silicone injection materials are OK. An old club member -with vast experience- used to mend his car exhausts /mufflers with the stuff.

You need optically clear acrylic or polycarbonate. Otherwise it will make a nice nightlight for the bedroom.

Back