Les Chenery's Monosoupape

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello gpcoe! I'm sorry I didn't respond- I would simply not have seen your mail; it's not a case of apathy, I can assure you. The first batch was for five, the foundry made six (a common foundry stunt) and bearing in mind the cost of fuel there and back, anything less than five or six crankcases isn't worth doing. I'll gladly note your want, and if the numbers start adding up, I would be delighted to do it again. You are the second chap to enquire, so a fortnight on, we're already one third of the way there.

-Andrew UK
Not a problem Andrew. I would like to add my name to the next batch if it happens. I have a set of original plans I found in my grandfather's stash when he passed. It's on my list of engines to build when I get a moment.

The original plans were dye line prints, so keep 'em out of the light until you need them, otherwise they will fade and become illegible. I'm not sure how John C is reproducing them these days; the other guys here will be able to tell you...

I had to chuckle when I read your sentence "when I get a moment" !

-Andrew UK

The original plans were dye line prints, so keep 'em out of the light until you need them, otherwise they will fade and become illegible. I'm not sure how John C is reproducing them these days; the other guys here will be able to tell you...

I had to chuckle when I read your sentence "when I get a moment" !

-Andrew UK

I keep them in a bin with the other drawings I found. I've also transfered most of them into CAD model. I have a Kinner K5 to finish building and then decide what comes next. A car project as well. Plenty of years left to make this happen.

Additional, and for everyone - I know that you US guys will have your own people, but for everyone else looking for pushrod tubing (and I have no commercial connection) the company is Coopers Needleworks of Birmingham. They hold an amazing range, and will sell by the metre. For those in th US, that's 39.37 inches.

-Andrew UK

Hi,

I would be interested in a casting as well so that's another one to add to the list!

I will also need a set of drawings....I think there was a link to this a page or so ago...

Regards to all

Derek

Hi,

I would be interested in a casting as well so that's another one to add to the list!

I will also need a set of drawings....I think there was a link to this a page or so ago...

Regards to all

Derek

Derek, your need is noted! Another three requests will make it happen...

-Andrew

For all you other guys, have you started yet?

Ha! I've got a mk1, just about ripe; the castings have been weathering for about 25 years!

-Andrew

Have a MK1 at the moment and it's more than proved itself and I couldn't pass up the chance of an unmachined Dore Mk 2. IMG_0220.JPG IMG_0214.JPGIMG_0215.JPGIMG_0220.JPGIMG_0224.JPG

Here's where I am at the moment:

IMG_20211117_092436_903.jpg

Jigs & fixtures time - it allows me to get the tools sorted, checked, shapened and honed! I've started the crankshaft too, it's a little further on that the picture shows but not much, the crankpin is in and I've started roughing out the front part.

This morning I've been looking at spark plugs - Rimfire V3 are $35 each, so I'll be making my own.....

Okay, so I scrapped the crankshaft front, made a new one and scrapped that. 3rd time lucky? Why do I find it so hard to make two pieces that have centres 0.500" apart? The main crankshaft is 0.500", the front started at 0.550" so I plugged the hole and re-drilled at 0.500". Upon reaming with a taper reamer to match the crankpin, the plug spun out. Now I have re-made the front crankshaft web and taper reamed the hole before brazing it to the front spindle. I hope that works.

I want to buy the casting and drawing. How many left to get an order in? Ill buy as many needed to get the order complete

Contact Andrew in #48 for the castings. Be aware that he is not a business, however. He may or may not have castings available. The plans can be purchased from Chenery's son (John IIRC). His email is earlier in this thread. Both are in England so you'll have shipping, and the two parties are not related to one another (so two shipping charges).

Good morning/ afternoon/ evening chaps. I have now had further monosoupape crankcase castings done, and they are ready for dispatch. To reiterate, these are for Les Chenery's 1/5th scale design. For those of you in the American contingent, the exchange rates are very much in your favour!

the only difference with this batch is that they haven't been bead blasted. The actual material grade and the quality is the same as the first ones I did; they're just shinier.

The cost of each casting is £55, I shall report on postage costs tomorrow. If I use padded envelopes instead of boxes, the weight is just under 500 grams. (That's good.)

I have kept a list of those people who have expressed interest before, and they will have priority. I shall start taking orders during the coming week, although it must be borne in mind that the UK does have upcoming postal strikes which may cause delay.

-Andrew UK

Good morning/ afternoon/ evening chaps. I have now had further monosoupape crankcase castings done, and they are ready for dispatch. To reiterate, these are for Les Chenery's 1/5th scale design. For those of you in the American contingent, the exchange rates are very much in your favour!

the only difference with this batch is that they haven't been bead blasted. The actual material grade and the quality is the same as the first ones I did; they're just shinier.

The cost of each casting is £55, I shall report on postage costs tomorrow. If I use padded envelopes instead of boxes, the weight is just under 500 grams. (That's good.)

I have kept a list of those people who have expressed interest before, and they will have priority. I shall start taking orders during the coming week, although it must be borne in mind that the UK does have upcoming postal strikes which may cause delay.

-Andrew UK
Cheers Andrew,

Thanks for the heads up...btw what is the best way of paying you the £55?

Kind regards

Derek

April 18, 2023: I am interested in a gnome monosoupape crankcase casting and the plans (drawings) for the build.
Norman Malinowski
4 Debow Drive
Millstone Township, NJ 08535
USA

email: [email protected]

Latest posts

Back