Learning to use CAD

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, done all that. Verified DirectX 9c.

I absolutely HATE windows.

Yeah I know ::)
Im poking around...give me a minute

Dave

ksouers,

How about the Local Help Installation file?

Additionally, I went to the Alibre forum and foud this ..

http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7977

Look under "Alibre Design installing problem"

which speaks to a Javascript compatibility problem.

Beyond that you may need to call them Monday morning and speak to them, or send them and email...I doubt you are the first to confront this.

I didn't run into this problem when I installed mine, but I had a few others and they have helped me out..

Hope that helps? :)

Dave

SmoggyTurnip said:
I thought Brians post was informative, intresting and on topic. - It's also nice to know how much Cad software costs - the thread was interesting.

I thought it was also very valid given that most web sites of high end programs don't give a price and definitely don't mention 'support'
It's nice to see quoted prices as they can fluctuate a lot depending on the salesman's pitch and what he can allow. A lot of these are like double glazing sales and the more you stick out the more you save.
I can see Brian's and Peters point of view in that they need this as a tool but when I read that XX has a copy of Mastercam at about $12,000 to run his little X1 mill on it makes you wonder about the price difference between machine and software.

Personally I'm sticking to 2D for as long as I can, I have a copy of Alibre, Turbocad v15 and small son has his works copy of Solid Edge he can legally use at home but to be honest I find it very hard to get my head round 3D.
I can accept that using constraints means you can go back and change something and it all changes but setting these up isn't easy for me and usually by the time I have done this in 3D I could have belted out a drawing suitable for me or the CNC in the same time.
I'm fortunate in that I can visualise parts easily in my mind and very often whilst working manually I don't need any drawings at all, working straight out my head.

One of my jobs up until the end of the year is to modify about 20 motors a month that have to fit hydraulic pumps that have already been made wrong, by next year the new batch will be right and fit a standard motor.
In the meanwhile it's cheaper to modify the shaft and flange on these motors.
The first was done out of my head taking measurements of the motor and pump. When that was done a phot was taken of the finished job and a list of operations was hand written on the back of the photo.

That photo is now in a plastic wallet ready for next months batch. The customers doesn't want a drawing, only 20 motors a month at the cheapest rate. I don't want to do a drawing in 2D or 3d as no one is paying me.

If it works don't fix it! ;D

We all have a way we work and a way we think....any one way is neither right or wrong, just differant. I've said it before, if you make your part and you have as many fingers as before and no schrapnel in your forehead, what ever your doing is right. period. Keep doing it ;D

The pixels on the screen don't make you work, you do. ;D
If you don't need all the wizbang gittup muffler bearing whatchamacallits....don't get em.....its a waste....unless your into all the wizbang gittup muffler bearing whatchamacallits....but that's another topic ;D

Best wishes to all.

Dave
:)

Thanks for the help, guys. We'll see what happens.

Here is a simple rule of thumb (were did that expression come from anyway).

If it would take you longer to make a drawing of a part then it would to just make it then don't but if you can draw it in less time then it would to make it them it is probably worth the trouble, particularly if there are multiple identical parts to be made.

Going from 2D to 3D is kind of like moving from Imperial to Metric, it requires a different view on the subject, you are trying to achieve the same goal but from a different perspective and some programs are easier to do it on then others.

Of course, not everything I do is work related---

small block chev- engine with real-view.jpg

Heres a couple of my projects,

WallabyAsm.jpg

Bar stock version of the Westbury twin Wallaby

cylinderassembly-1.jpg

WilsonTCGrinder.jpg

My version of the Wilson T&C grinder

Dave

How things change, ::)

When I started work in a drawing office (40 years ago) I was using a Drawing board (a wooden one) and a Tee Square ......... also wood ??? .............. we then progressed to drawing boards with counterweights and parallel motions .... in fact I'm sure I have an A2 version still in the loft ??? ......... that cost me about 2 weeks wages back in the late 70's ......... then again it did earn me a fair bit more than that :D ..... at the time it was fantastic progress, in fact the old guys thought it somewhat heathen ;) ........... they came around though and I do have a lot of respect for them all, they taught me a lot :bow:

But, things have progressed far, far more than I could have ever imagined when I started work back in 1968 .......... CAD programs are without a doubt much more efficient than one dude on a drawing board .......... but it does lack personality ........ with a drawing you could include a little "style" ;)

Anyway ......2D I understand but, 3D CAD does look appealing ........... do I need to go back and read the whole thread again or can some kind soul please do me a quick summary particularly of the "free software" bits 8)

CC

Hi CC,

I started life out on the boards at Milacron a long time ago. 2D was all that is available then in the form of IBM (remember them) CADAM...and they were huge and ran on mainframe Vax machines....Every guy there who had used those beastly monitors for more than 5 years was either bald or sterile.....go figure!

I can speak for Alibre as " a lot of bang for the buck!" Especially the free version! ;D

It is fairly straight forward to use. You will need to get used to approuching a design from a differant perspective. When you were on the boards, and a large blank sheet of paper was staring you in the face, the old trick if you were stuck on where to go was to draw a center line. Usually that would get the brain kicking along and that worked well!

The hard part with 3D is you kind of need to process that center line and perhaps flesh it out on the first sketch ( most 3D packages use a sketcher where you draw a figure and then EXTRUDE it to a depth. Some use boleans...Im not going there) If you can rewire how you think through that part of it, the rest gets easier. Its a skill like anything else, the more you do it the better you get at it.

I'll throw something together if it is deemed relevant. Don't want to torque anyone off...just try to show how it can be used.

If "YOU ALL" would like me to show you something regarding that I could, but I will wait to be asked :)

Best Wishes,

Dave

PS.
but it does lack personality ........ with a drawing you could include a little "style"

WE called it " hand". You knew who's drawing it was without ever looking at the title block.....

steamer said:
If "YOU ALL" would like me to show you something regarding that I could, but I will wait to be asked :)

Sounds good to me 8)

CC

I showed on of the young guys at work a picture of a Vemco V-track. I asked him what he thought it was?

Some sort of robot....is the answer I got...... ::) Slung a lot of lead on one of those.

Sheesh
I turn my back for a bit and the place goes all to hell. I have no problem with anyone running high dollar software, especially when it earns them a living. I've priced CAD and for my personal needs it's beyond any real justification. I've worked in 3D for years and still use a piece of software I paid less than $100.00 for in 1994. It does what I want it to do.... nuff said.

What disappoints me is all the bickering and elitist accusations bickering back and forth. I thought for a minute I'd logged into HSM by mistake. There is nothing elitist about a fellow mentioning that his requirements cost him what it costs him. There is nothing elitist about a fellow sharing the fun and excitement of rebuilding his shop from the ground up.

What is elitist is the idea that you can judge another man's intent. I find myself more than a little annoyed by that. I'm also tired of the "I'll take my ball and go home" thing that keeps cropping up. Lets enjoy the community and if you can't get along with someone, ignore them. We're here to have fun and assist each other where we can. It's called being an mature adult.

Oh yeah.... a little sample of my 3D/CAD bona fides.....

lakeside.jpg

temple-columns.jpg

temple-dreamlarge.jpg

Steve

Thats not CAD, that ART! :bow: I couldn't understand why you had a picture of the traction engine though? The I looked and looked and looked still a little unsure.....is it CAD? can't be?

Latest posts

Back