Learning to use CAD

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bog, you said you had a right to your opinion and your right there.

Nobody is saying you don't.

It is the manner in which you slammed people for working with CAD programs and what you perceive as elitism, which you don't agree with, that has people pissed off. There are lots of threads on this and other forums that don't really interest me so I don't read them, and yes you do have that choice. You can make your point about a subject with out coming off as an ass.

If that seems harsh Bog it's no worse than you have treated others here.

Why don't we just end this before people decide that they want to quit this forum, it's to good a place to goto for help and interest, we don't want to cause irreparable damage and lose people.

"nuff said.

Hey guys...

I honestly didn't see any elitism from anybody on any of the prior posts (or threads for that matter). I didn't start to get upset until all the arguing and accusations of 'elitism'. Lets keep this civilized. Everyone has different opinions about machines and software to use... whether that be a hobby or for a career. Both Brian and John have careers that relate back to machining, whether that is model engines or what have you. Everyone here has things to offer and guide... I don't care if you are new to machining models or not.

So lets all shake hands, agree to disagree and let the hard feelings fall away or I lock this thread.

Sound good?

Eric

Gentlemen,

Things on this thread have gone sideways for whatever reason. Each and every one of us has different opinions regarding every aspect of this hobby, whether it be brands of machines, types of materials, suppliers, CAD software, whether to use CNC or not, and on and on. This board is for the passage of information and ideas common to our hobby. Let's not have ruffled feathers and hurt feelings damage the good thing we have going here.

My function here with this post is to keep the forum civilized. The judgement of who is right and wrong is up to you, and I encourage each of you to let it go and move on. Everyone has a bad day, and let that be that. But, this arguing has to stop now. It is totally counter productive to the purposes of the forum. If your feelings were hurt by another member's comments (including mine), then I apologize and hope that you will continue to contribute to this forum.

Each and every member here has something to contribute no matter their experience level, location, budget, or vocation. Those ideas will not be passed along effectively in an environment of hostility. Let's play nice and respect each member's opinions whether we agree or disagree.

If this hostility continues, then this thread will have lost the original intention and will therefore be locked.

Thank you Eric and W/E.

My interest in this thread was to find a simple 2D CAD to use around the shop. I had a copy of Generic CADD some years ago and really liked it. Unfortunately that company was bought by AutoDesk and the product has not been available for quite some time now.

I believe that quest had been met early in the thread, but I was still curious about other systems. I had tried 3D several times and found I didn't like it. Mostly because I didn't understand what was possible, nor how to do it. I thought maybe I could learn something.

I hope I still can.

ksouers,

I thought maybe I could learn something.

I hope I still can."

Glad to help if I can. Let me know.

Dave

ksouers said:
Thank you Eric and W/E.

I hope I still can.

Of course you still can. I think earlier it was stated Alibre has a free version. I use the Pro version, but the system is still the same. If you decide to give it a go, let me know... I may be able to help if you have questions. Like Solidworks, there are plenty of free tutorials on the web for it out there.

What you end up choosing for a program is completely up to you. They are all pretty good. Each person has their own preference for the interface... so it may take a couple of trials to find the one that suits you.

Good luck with it.

Eric

3D CAD is definitely a useful tool for the workshop, particularly on more complicated assemblies or parts, be they model engines or otherwise.

And learning it is not really that hard either. I taught myself 2D on AutoCad 16 years ago, and 3D on Solidworks about 7-8 years ago.
The built in tutorials for either package are useful to get you started, but IMO the best way to learn is by using a paper drawing (of a reasonably complex part) that you already have.
If you take this drawing of a part you already know, and then work at converting it to a 2D or 3D model – with frequent references to the help section of the program – you would be surprised at how quick you pick it up. It always seems daunting at first, in many ways a bit having all the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle but with no idea what the final picture should look like. But once you start using a few commands they stick in your brain, and you easily go back to reference and use them again.

Like Brian, I use Solidworks for my business, and it’s employed in product design and development and mould tool design. It’s completely invaluable in these areas and I couldn’t work without it. The business paid for it, and (as I own the business) I’m lucky enough to get to use it whenever and for whatever I want.

But I also play with too. The Carburettor model below was drawn a few years ago when I was on a motorbike forum. One of the common FAQs there was always related to carbs after someone had stripped one down and put it together incorrectly, or didn’t know what a pilot jet or a needle valve was, or where to look for problems or blockages, and so on.
The model was made available as a free download that could be viewed, sectioned, made transparent, separated into individually labeled components, with any level of sub-assembly of the parts you wanted – and all using a *Free* CAD viewer from Solidworks called e-drawings. People could download it and see how the carb worked and where all the parts went and what they were called.
All with no prior knowledge or experience of CAD systems. I use exactly the same program to send 3D models to some of my non-technical clients.

However, for straightforward 2D drawing I still use an old version of Autocad that I haven’t upgraded for 8 years and see no need to do so.
The only real argument against either form of CAD in the workshop is initial cost, and ultimately this will get cheaper.

Carb_Assy_Medium.jpg

Peter

Cr@p Peter, that is a nice model. Cad skills are impressive to me as much as machining skills. Still have that file as a download? I wouldn't mind looking at it. I do have e-drawings still loaded.

Eric

Peter, that is an impressive rendering!

ksouers, hang in there! You'll get all of the pieces to the puzzle before you know it and will have everything you need to get on your way.

FWIW I use AutoCAD myself. I've not tried any of the other programs, but with some practice and patience most of the CAD programs would likely serve the needs of the home machinist just fine. In my opinion, CAD is a nice luxury to compliment the hobby, but it certainly isn't a nessecity. Just remember that the SR-71 was designed on paper using slide rules!!!

Thanks for the compliments Guys, I must admit I was quite pleased with that one myself.

Eric, no problem I still have the e-drawing file. I think it was done in the 2005 version, so any post 2005 e-drawings package should open it.
Download location is here, and the file size is around 3.5 MB.

http://www.btinternet.com/~p.neill/Carb_Assy.easm

Peter

Dave,
Thanks. But at this point I don't know what I don't know.

Eric,
I've downloaded Alibre but haven't installed it yet. May get to that this weekend. My past experience has been that using 2D CAD was easier than drawing with pencil, though rough sketches helped to get the process started.

Peter,
Simply amazing!

ksouers,

No worries. The big differance right off the bat is that you first sketch and then extrude.

Alibre should have an on line tutorial. Their pretty good.

Feel free to ask questions though...glad to help

It took a while for me to get my head wrapped around it the first time...your not alone.

Dave

ksouers said:
Thank you Eric and W/E.

My interest in this thread was to find a simple 2D CAD to use around the shop. I had a copy of Generic CADD some years ago and really liked it. Unfortunately that company was bought by AutoDesk and the product has not been available for quite some time now.

I believe that quest had been met early in the thread, but I was still curious about other systems. I had tried 3D several times and found I didn't like it. Mostly because I didn't understand what was possible, nor how to do it. I thought maybe I could learn something.

I hope I still can.

Ksouers.
CAD is rather like religion everyone has their own idea of what is best and what suits one doesn't suit another.

The best thing to do is download a few and try them to find one that suits the way you work.

There are two main ways to draw, one id the default CAD way where you draw everything from an origin point and everything is absolute from that point.

This works well with people who have never drawn before and have no previous experiance.

For the dinosaurs amongst us [ ME :p ] who have moved off drawing boards and construction lines a program that allows you to EASILY offset lines to produce the shape can be better.

I say easily as the offset command isn't always obvious in some programs and in a few it's very hard to do.

John Stevenson said:
the offset command

That must be the tool I use the most :( .............. does that make me a "dam BIG" dinosaur ;D ............ or just "almost extinct" ;D

CC

CrewCab said:
That must be the tool I use the most :( .............. does that make me a "dam BIG" dinosaur ;D ............ or just "almost extinct" ;D

CC

Doesn't matter, all that matters is you get the part drawn to YOUR satisfaction.

Thanks, JS. You can count me amongst your dinosaurs ;)
Started with pencil and vellum way back in high school some 30+ years ago. Haven't touched a drawing board since. Probably why I liked Generic CADD so much, it was very close to drawing on paper. I have a copy of TurboCad 3D I've tried to use several times, but it always made my head hurt.

Kevin, I also learn on Generic CADD and loved the program.
When Autodesk killed it I vowed I'd never use one of their products again.
I moved on to Fastcad which I have configured virtually the same as generic with one and two letter shortcuts for most applications.

I am pretty sure I still have the 3 disks for Generic CADD somewhere but I don't know it it will run under XP, do you want me to look them out ?

Well now.
I'm having a bit of a problem with Alibre. I get it installed just fine. But when I start it up it wants me to register. OK, fine. I click on the button, a window pops up briefly then disappears and nothing happens.

What's the secret? By the way I'm running XP.

Thanks John, but that's not necessary. I still have my disks, but I no longer have any 5 1/4 drives.

The ones I have are on 3-1/2" and were the next to last version 6.0 ? I think.
I know the last version was dead buggy.

Back