learning cad

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go here I have written a very simply into cad - Draftview (do a google search) is free its operates same as Austcad

Hi,

I'm a dedicated TurboCAD user and have been since V14. It cannot do all the things Solidworks can do but for 15% of the price, for its' top of the range package, it's pretty damn good. One thing I would say is if you want to use 3D modeling, whatever package you select there is a learning curve and the base versions of pretty well all CAD packages don't do 3D very well or very accurately. There are workarounds but you'll soon tire, (ask me how I know), of faffing about using them.

Turbocad is usually shipped with Ken Doyles CAD Fundamentals, a 2D training CD, plus a symbols CD and you can also buy his 3D training CD. I highly recommend both.

No affiliation just a very satisfied user.

Best Regards
Bob

I am a Design Draftsman and use AutoCad, Inventor and solid Works and PTC Creo Direct ( which is the old CoCreate One Space ). And the easiest to know how to use would be PTC Creo Direct as it is a non history base format, Which means you can go back into and earlier part of you model and modify it without having to undo everything that was created after it.

They also have a lower spec free version for home users.

http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-express/

It is good for learning 3d Modeling.

Hi,

I'm a dedicated TurboCAD user and have been since V14. It cannot do all the things Solidworks can do but for 15% of the price, for its' top of the range package, it's pretty damn good. One thing I would say is if you want to use 3D modeling, whatever package you select there is a learning curve and the base versions of pretty well all CAD packages don't do 3D very well or very accurately. There are workarounds but you'll soon tire, (ask me how I know), of faffing about using them.

Turbocad is usually shipped with Ken Doyles CAD Fundamentals, a 2D training CD, plus a symbols CD and you can also buy his 3D training CD. I highly recommend both.

No affiliation just a very satisfied user.

Best Regards
Bob

I disagree, I have been designing with Inventor since it was started, designed many machines, with less than 2% error, accurate to 8 place decimal, if that's not good, I don't know what could be better.

Draw-Tech

I disagree, I have been designing with Inventor since it was started, designed many machines, with less than 2% error, accurate to 8 place decimal, if that's not good, I don't know what could be better.

Draw-Tech

At $7K, why am I not surprised?

I purchased TurboCad 16 pro , platinum , for less than $300 , and it even came with a CAM addon for CNC ing
i persisted for 6 months , and learnt a lot , ( no CAD experience ) i use it for 3D all the time , and its quick , yer you have to plan what you want to draw ,

The biggest mistake you can make in 3D it to drag and drop an object , it wont end up right , use the boxes on the bottom of the screen , and type in the distance you want to move , the size of objects ect , alot quicker and more accurate

today i drew this , 15" duplex pump , in 4 hours , yes a long way to go ,

In turbo cad , i like the Snaps , once you learn the keyboard short cuts its so fast , even adding draft to all sides for mould making is easy , just do it before joining objects

i think Turbo cad 16pro is cheaper now , at $200 ,ive only owned it for 18 months , and im still learning more , in the last 6 months im just getting quicker and quicker

its so easy to draw , I did some " art work " for web pages , in CAD

Does any body know a cad program that will work in a IPad?

If your looking for a Free Edition of CAD, look no further than DoubleD Cad XT. It looks and acts just like AutoCad 2012 and an instructional PDF is available for $99.00. I use it now exclusively after having taken an AutoCad online course as it takes up a lot less space than AutoCad 2012 and uses much less resources.

Latest posts

Back