Leaded steel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always use leaded steel for anything requiring machining A real pleasure to work with
Herbie, where are you buying leaded steel in Australia? My local supplier never heard of it.

To weld you need to per heat very hot
I have used 12L14 works great

Dave

I have access to some "leaded steel". I'm told it's easy to machine, but not weldable. Would this be an alternative to cast iron for cylinders?

McMaster does still ship to Canada, purchased some items this week, however, we are an established customer and have been for about 4 years. It must be a real pain to live in Australia when what is easily available in Europe and North America becomes almost a specialty item. We have this issue to a degree in Canada but obliviously nothing like you do in Aussie.

I have welded lots of 12l14 parts ..
and it is technically semi-weldable -- aka can be done but won´t be good, pretty or structurally 100% sound (in theory).

Heavy heat works better.
My parts are massive, like 30x100 mm sections 2 m long.
7018 rod is better than 6011.
Thicker rod is better.
4mm +/-, better than 3 mm, given enough amps on the welder.

I "feel" a hot preheated haz is probably much easier to do than a cold steel part.

The welds are not pretty and get inclusions - less with more heat.
They hold well and are structural, but with inclusions.

I get good results welding stainless when using stainless 310-16 or 316L rods. The slag floats to the top and is easily chipped away in big sections without inclusions. SS is a good conductor of electricity and heat which is why I like to weld with SS rods.

They also work well on cast iron when I have had to make repairs.

I suggest trying stainless rods.

stainless is an extremely poor conductor of heat and electricity which is one of the reasons why it is such a pleasure to weld
to prove my point try fusion welding of copper, gas or tig to see what I mean

Perhaps it's also the clean surface that makes it a pleasure to weld. I stick weld so that too may make a difference.

Latest posts

Back