Leaded steel

Discussion in 'Metals' started by Rudy, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Sep 20, 2017 #1

Rudy

Rudy

Rudy

I have access to some "leaded steel". I'm told it's easy to machine, but not weldable. Would this be an alternative to cast iron for cylinders?

2. Sep 20, 2017 #2

Charles Lamont

Charles Lamont

Charles Lamont

Cylinders for what?

3. Sep 20, 2017 #3

Rudy

Rudy

Rudy

My next (seccond) project will be a Farm Boy hit and miss engine. I'm also thinking general material compatibility. If leaded steel was compatible with aluminium pistons for instance.

4. Sep 20, 2017 #4

doug11k

doug11k

doug11k

Rudy,
    It's fun to machine bt has little corrosion resistance. Not sure how it would react to combustion products.

5. Sep 20, 2017 #5

WOB

WOB

WOB

If you are talking about 12L14 leaded steel or similar, it makes good cylinders for IC engines of all types. I have made many in the last 15 years and have had no problems.

WOB

6. Sep 20, 2017 #6

tornitore45

tornitore45

tornitore45

If coupled with an aluminum piston the piston must have cast Iron rings.
    The piston should have enough clearance to have a sliding fit (about 1/1000 per inch diameter) after accounting for the differential expansion.

Aluminum 21-25 ppm/*C
    Steel 15 ppm/*C

7. Sep 21, 2017 #7

pickleford75

pickleford75

pickleford75

12L14 leaded is very acceptable for IC cylinders.... that what is specified in Lee Hodgens radials which use 2024 aluminum for pistons

8. Sep 21, 2017 #8

Rudy

Rudy

Rudy

Thanks guys. This is really usefull information.

9. Sep 22, 2017 #9

Wizard69

Wizard69

Wizard69

Consider yourself lucky! Leaded steel is well known for good machining characteristics thus is used widely where better grades of steel are not needed.

10. Sep 22, 2017 #10

tornitore45

tornitore45

tornitore45

Leaded steel easily finish to mirror, to me it feels "slippery" like lubricated in line with the fact that the chip slide easily over the tool edge. This property makes if desirable for cylinders BUT it rust as you look at it which makes it undesirable unless is kept coated with oil, most probable with an internal combustion engine.

11. Apr 19, 2018 #11

Engineeringtech

Engineeringtech

Engineeringtech

I work with leaded steel a lot. It has spoiled me. I don't want to cut anything else. It doesn't rust that fast, if the surface finish is fine.... And besides, your cylinder is going to be lubricated, is it not?

12. Apr 19, 2018 #12

Rudy

Rudy

Rudy

Since I posted the question I have done som parts with leaded steel my selves. I agree. Very nice to work with.
    However, I have only some 75mm round pieces and have to work a lot to make smaller parts.
    This is my Farm Boy cylinder.
    Rudy

2017-11-24 20.12.35.jpg

13. Apr 19, 2018 #13

werowance

werowance

werowance

i love working with 12L14 you are lucky to have free access to it.

don't know about welding it, but it silver brazes just fine. or at least it did for me.

if you hold the heat on it for a long time you will see it start to sweat a little. pretty sure that's the lead in it starting to melt but that never caused any issue with me on brazing it.

and the stuff seems to rust faster than cast iron will, but also seems to polish back back up quickly for me. but ive never left the stuff out in the rain or anything. probably wouldn't use it for say a water cooling jacket or anything - but air/oil cooled i would think it would be fine for in that case.

14. Apr 20, 2018 #14

jayville

jayville

jayville

Hi all,,back many years ago I used to weld bright leaded steel with arc...the electrodes where called sulphur rod here in oz perhaps they have a different name elsewhere.if we didn't use these rods we would end up with a lot of porosity,I would weld required items for the machinists and they would machine them up with no problem...cheers clem

15. Apr 20, 2018 #15

kiwi2

kiwi2

kiwi2

Hi,
    I'm also a fan for leaded steel because of the fine finish you get on the lathe. I haven't welded it but I have successfully brazed it using bronze with no problems.
    It really does corrode. I used a piece of 1" round as an axle for the wheel on my wheelbarrow which is stored outside. After a year or so, there was less than 1/4" left - it was really spectacularly bad.
    Regards,
    Alan

16. Apr 20, 2018 #16

Engineeringtech

Engineeringtech

Engineeringtech

I don't think most people know most of the small threaded fasteners used in electronic devices, watches, etc. used to be made of leaded steel, precisely because it machines so well, including the fine pitch threads.

McMaster sells 12L14, and 41L14 "free cutting" steels. The latter is as easy cutting leaded version of 4140, and is stronger than 12L14. They also sell 1215 alloy which is a non leaded "free cutting" steel. Does not cut as easily, or leave as nice a finish as the leaded steels, but worth a try if you're bothered by the very minimal amount of lead alloyed into 12L14 and 41L14. I should note that free machining brasses also contain lead.

As for the corrosion, I wasn't advocating using it in an outdoor application. It does not rust any faster than non-leaded steels, and the fact that you can put a better finish on it delays the corrosion. Less surface irregularity, the less opportunity for rust to start.

You CAN case harden leaded steel, but it doesn't absorb the carbon as readily as some unleaded steels.

Rudy likes this.
  17. Apr 21, 2018 #17

Herbiev

Herbiev

Herbiev

Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I always use leaded steel for anything requiring machining A real pleasure to work with