LBSC fire engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minibrix

Reaction score
Hi.
Here is the first engine run of LBSC's fire engine from December 1954 Model Engineer that I am building:
It was a Christmas special which it has become apparent that he never built but I suspect he drew it up at the last minute to meet a deadline , it seems to be a simplified version of his Stanleyette steam car. One major fault I found is that the run- pump lever clashes with the steering column and I had to move the lever from inside the frame to outside it but it should be easier to operate there. Also the port blocks are only shown with one screw attaching them causing them to rock, I had to solder the blocks to the bracket to fix, the top of the bracket needs to be higher to accommodate an extra screw or two.

An interesting design; a bit more advanced than the tin can traction engine in the same issue!
You showing your age with your username!

Dave
The Emerald Isle
At least they got the priorities right on the front cover!
Yes I am a child of the 50's: Meccano, Dinky toys, Hornby Dublo and bouncing bricks. Now where's the carpet sweeper, I need the wheels!

Hi.
Here is the first engine run of LBSC's fire engine from December 1954 Model Engineer that I am building:
It was a Christmas special which it has become apparent that he never built but I suspect he drew it up at the last minute to meet a deadline , it seems to be a simplified version of his Stanleyette steam car. One major fault I found is that the run- pump lever clashes with the steering column and I had to move the lever from inside the frame to outside it but it should be easier to operate there. Also the port blocks are only shown with one screw attaching them causing them to rock, I had to solder the blocks to the bracket to fix, the top of the bracket needs to be higher to accommodate an extra screw or two.

I am also starting the LBSC fire truck.
The updated plany by Julius de Waal are good.
However I could not find any information on the intended boiler pressure.

Hi
To answer your question, the original article said set the safety valve at 50psi.
There are some design issues: consider moving the control lever from the inside to the outside of the frame to make it more accessible and on the original LBSC design it hit the steering column. I think Julius placed the steering at a steeper angle.
The pump capacity is too large for the power of the engine causing it to stall, on the original the engine is 1/2" bore and the pump is 3/8".
The gear ratio, 3:1 was too high, it raced around at high speed but could not do slow.
I could not get the steering right, I changed it to bevel gears with a drop link. As designed it went lock to lock on less that half a turn of the steering wheel.
In the end I changed it to a V twin engine for more power with a geared lay shaft, changed the lever to forward, neutral and reverse, the gearing ended up to low, I abandoned it to make O gauge steam locos. On day I might finish it.
I can email you the original article if you can supply your an email address
Cheers
Bruce

IMG_20200721_154120.jpg

PM sent.

Being a voluntary fireman since 1992 this and having a three year old daughter who loved anything that steams and makes noise I just need one.

OK, here we go again.

I have found a partbuilt one in metric.
A two cylinder oscillating engine drives the rear axle.
It ran only on blocks at 4 bars of pressure.
After lapping the surfaces I got the lorry to drive on level ground with less than 1 bar on the clock.

Oiler needs replacing,
Water gauge missing
Boiler feed is via pump bottle.

As I plan to have a water tank on it I am now looking for a small hand operated boiler feed pump. (any suggestions?)

The Pump will be driven by a smal opposed cylinder engine.
BUT:
Which pump?
I ordered a wilesco pump (as used on their D305 engine) but found it too weak. It also needs to be flooded in order to work.
Now I am looking for another pump.
Looking at old Märklin fountains I am thinking of using one or two single-acting cylinders "backwards".

Requirements for the water pump:
-Driven by the opposed twin already installed
-Enough power to feed two hoses with nozzles and get the water to a target about 1.5 to 2 metres away.
-Able to draw water from pond below wheel level without having to fill the hoses first
-small overall dimensions

Can anyone recommend a suitable pump?

The wire model is an old art.... pre-dates wire models on computers by centuries! I often use wire models for pipe runs before cutting and bending tubes.
But yours has a natural beauty of its own that far exceeds the purpose of the layout work.
Well done Scrat! I tip my hat to you for a very entertaining post, that demonstrates an old method of Engineering very well.
K2

Slowly moving on.

Water gauge glass fitted, pressure gauge fitted, extension lever for the control valve of the driving engine made and installed.

Not it is time to cut some metal and start on the body.
Cutting metal square with straight edges is a challenge for me.

Hi
To answer your question, the original article said set the safety valve at 50psi.
There are some design issues: consider moving the control lever from the inside to the outside of the frame to make it more accessible and on the original LBSC design it hit the steering column. I think Julius placed the steering at a steeper angle.
The pump capacity is too large for the power of the engine causing it to stall, on the original the engine is 1/2" bore and the pump is 3/8".
The gear ratio, 3:1 was too high, it raced around at high speed but could not do slow.
I could not get the steering right, I changed it to bevel gears with a drop link. As designed it went lock to lock on less that half a turn of the steering wheel.
In the end I changed it to a V twin engine for more power with a geared lay shaft, changed the lever to forward, neutral and reverse, the gearing ended up to low, I abandoned it to make O gauge steam locos. On day I might finish it.
I can email you the original article if you can supply your an email address
Cheers
Bruce

View attachment 118006
Good evening from the Antipodes;

Came a cross your post just now, and am interested. Is it still possible to get a copy of the original article, please ?

Email address: [email protected]

Respectfully

Ian Munro
Norlane, Victoria
Australia.

Back