Lathes

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelkie

Reaction score
I've been asked by a guy what the difference of an engine lathe. a centre lathe and a tool makers lathes are. I am
embarrassed that being doing work on almost all types of machines that, could not answer him but only guessing
any help out there?

I've been asked by a guy what the difference of an engine lathe. a centre lathe and a tool makers lathes are. I am
embarrassed that being doing work on almost all types of machines that, could not answer him but only guessing
any help out there?
I’m not sure either, but it is my understanding that it’s much like the difference between a violin and a fiddle. There isn’t any basic difference between the machines, or violin and fiddle. The distinction lies in how the machine, or instrument, is used/played.

any help out there?
A tool maker lathe came with collects and a taper atchament and was higher standers than a engine lathe.
A tool maker lathe can be call tool room lathe.

FYI the engine lathe has a electric motor a lathe is line shaft.

Dave

any help out there?
You also see (Complete Machine Shop) This term used for a shop can make a gear from casting with keyway. So a clock maker can have complete machine shop.

Dave

I’m not sure either, but it is my understanding that it’s much like the difference between a violin and a fiddle. There isn’t any basic difference between the machines, or violin and fiddle. The distinction lies in how the machine, or instrument, is used/played.
Might some of the difference also be in the cost?

(violins - - - dunno as to the latest pricing but its likely well past $10 million - - - fiddles - - likely under $30k if not more like under $3k)

At risk of restarting the beating of another dead horse....

I think contemplation of terminology like this ends with the concept that while there is (or no longer is) a firm distinction between these terms, most kinda, sorta, almost know, in general, what one means when a given item is mentioned.

Like the request to list the absolute specifications for "mild steel."

--ShopShoe (with tongue firmly anchored in cheek)

I think contemplation of terminology like this ends with the concept that while there is (or no longer is) a firm distinction between these terms, most kinda, sorta, almost know, in general, what one means when a given item is mentioned.

guffawing loudly!!!!!!!!!!!

(All I good fun, of course.)
Ah yes, the esoteric conversation. Sitting around politely discussing the finer points of something, but not really doing anything. A gentlemanly pastime for those with time on their hands.
As the OP said he is a good lathe hand, but has missed some of the finer points of the conversation. A friend of mine who knows zero about machining, but reads slot, once asked me:
I have heard their is a big debate about whether you det the compound to 29 or 30 deg for threading. What do you think.
ME: Hmm I don't know. I just dial in 2, and left, 1.

Knowing the lingo and specifics is nice, but how did your latest part check out when you inspected it?

Latest posts

Back