Lathe Types

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rozlo

Reaction score
I have to ask, and I know I'm a newbie. But what is the difference between gunsmith lathes and just a lathe? I'm looking at the grizzly lathes and mills and I only want to buy or spend this kind of money once want to get it right.

The Grizzly G4003G seems to stand out as a gunsmiths lathe.

I'm not the one to define a gunsmith lathe vs any other but I do own a 4003G. The difference seems to be the professed quality of bearings but more obviously the features the gunsmith lathes (from grizzly) come with. For example a "built in" spider on the spindle off-side for ensuring long items don't whip. There is also the ability to use a torque wrench on the tailstock clamping. (Something that one might say is of limited usefulness but the cam lock mechanism works well.) The one difference that I've really come to appreciate is the relatively large spindle bore (1 5/8" on the 4003G). It's one of those things that you don't think you need until you have it.

Hope that's a bit of insight from one that has used one of these lathes for 5+ years. Yes - I would buy it again.

Hi

I have a Grizzly 4003G and have been using it for a little over three years. It has been a good dependable machine. I added DROs, a collet chuck and replaced the crappy oilers with ones with caps. I would buy this unit again.

Mark T

I have the Australian version - AL960b. Not a bad lathe but would be better if it had a carriage stop and a clutch. That said it is a solid machine that can take a serious cut in steel with carbide.

I have to ask, and I know I'm a newbie. But what is the difference between gunsmith lathes and just a lathe? I'm looking at the grizzly lathes and mills and I only want to buy or spend this kind of money once want to get it right.

The simple answer is that a gunsmith lathe may have a spider set up on the outboard end of the spindle to hold a barrel while it is being threaded or chambered.

From what I have seen it is a little hard to find an exact definition or specification set for a particular lathe type.
Hard to know what to look for as a newby. this thread got long and not real organized but worth a read.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=19213&page=5

The features that I see that stick out on this one are the roller bearing quality and the roller bearing type follow rest and steady. And as mentioned the outboard screw support AKA spider or cats head.
Take few minutes and download and print the manuals and or spec sheets for the lathes are considering. also what accessories are available. if you want to add a taper attachment and there are noe sold you need to make one . also collet size and availability /price. collet closer etc.

Back