• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Lathe info

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got serious competition in another Atkinson who oddly seems to be Rowan Sebastian Atkinson who appears as Black- adda and Mr Bean. So my attempts go down like lead balloons.

Just had my daughter on the 'blower' and she's heading off from Ilkley in Yorkshire( Home of Famous Song) and onto Flamborough Head.

I don't know how funny it sounds but my bank balance has changed colour.

So Enjoy your family and I hope that they are rather less expensive than mine!!

Cheers

Norman

My wife often says that there is a third party in our marriage - my machine shop, I disagree, it's actually my traction engine :D

I agree with Goldstar, my tools are not like my children - my machines never send me a Christmas card, never send me a birthday present and always return any tooling I lend them without being reminded

On the other hand, I do talk to my tools: When my Drummond lathe celebrated its one hundredth birthday (2012) I sat in the workshop with it and we had a few beers together and a long chat - I thanked her for all the hard work she had done for me over the last 30 years, and she told me a few things too

All the best,
Ian

PS: Just realised the above comments will start a debate about whether a lathe is male or female. I take my cue from the French who use “le tour” making ”lathe” masculine. As the English have been at war with the French for over a thousand years, the French are obviously wrong, making a lathe female

A friend of mine has one he seems happy with it. Mine is almost the same exact lathe there are a few differences mine is G4003 with the collet closer added his is the G4003g. I am also happy with mine.

Yes Ian N. I've just had a phone call from a lady in Lympney Stoke with a husband who has a ML7 which he got new as an apprentice!

He has the only workshop with a inside room covered in flock wallpaper.

Norman

Last edited:
I have the Jet version of that gearhead lathe, the 1440GH... they all appear very similar. I have been happy with it for probably 18 or so years. It has a gap bed but I don't intend to remove the gap since the old tale is that it is not always easy to get back in correctly. All lathes (I have found) are a compromise when first purchased, then you go about making it what you want for your intended purpose. I also build IC and steam engines....
This Jet version is very heavy and stout and quite accurate and repeatable - your DRO will vouch for that. The D1-4 is great but you will benefit by marking the spindle and your chucks so you attach them always in the same clocking - (if they are not grip-through). Get a good wedge type tool holder and all the holders that you can... Good machine - you will easily become dependent on it

bc

Latest posts

Back