Lathe alignment problem.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to put this thread to rest and share the solution if it happens to anyone else. The lathe still turned big at the headstock end. I finally was able to find a roundtoit and tore it down. Loosened all the bolts holding the headstock down and loosened the alignment block. Up to this time moving the adjustment block was all I did. I decided to remove it. I was working off a factory supplied repair manual. The page i was needing was missing and I did not know it. My SIL has a Friend who specializes in research and He found another copy, same front pages and all with stains and all marks being the same including the missing page. The lathe has a pivot pin in the middle of the headstock underneath where it is hard to see. I took the alignment block apart and found one hole was clean and the pin was in contact with the pin. The other hole was half filled with chips and the pin could not press on the pin. I cleaned everything up and greased things to prevent corrosion problems in the future.Someones slackness cost Me more than 20-30 hours work, let alone the extra time to fit parts that I make. At least it is fixed now. I only needed to look 1 step beyond where I was but never had the time. It all makes sense when I got all the facts. Thanks for the help.

That's could to hear. Did you take any pics along the way you could post? Alternatively while its fresh on your brain, could you post a sketch or picture of your repair manual page showing the part & pins? You wouldn't believe how many times this same issue comes up on lathes with bolt-on head stocks.

Read this thread with interest. I am having taper issues on the 7x mini lathes I have tried. I will start another thread so as to not hijack this one.

Latest posts

Back