Late Starter from the UK

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnS

Reaction score
After a lifetime of interest in motorcycles (riding and restoration) clarinets (playing and restoration) antique wall clocks (err winding and restoration) I suddenly found myself the recipient of a crude old lathe less than a year ago. I think it was even older than me and I'm heading far too quickly towards the ripe old age of seventy. I set about restoring the antique lathe to working order but even at that early stage I recognised that it had serious limitations so with a word in Santa's ear I became the owner of a 3 1/2” x 13” mini lathe. I struggled to produce one or two simple oscillating steam engines. My first one actually ran for all of two minutes then expired, the second one a twin cylinder double acting engine has never run and sits on a shelf in my workshop as a constant reminder of my limited capabilities. I also decided if I was going to build steam engines they should be put to some use so a kit for a 36” steam launch was aquired – it was at this stage that I crossed paths with Bogstandard, a major UK contributor to this site. He has been a major source of encouragement, advice and information for me and with his guidance I feel that I am making steady progress. I did actually manage to get a second twin cylinder double acting engine completed and running. I keep tinkering with my boat but my main enthusiasm is more towards machining activities and despite my ambitions exceeding my abilities I have just added a small Conquest mill to my armoury and have in the last few days fitted x,y and z dro's in to help me towards greater accuracy. My main project at the moment is the construction of Elmer Verberg's horizontal factory engine – I started with the machining of the steam chest – I've made five so far, each one getting closer to being usable. It was only a few days ago that Bogstandard invited me to join this forum and from what I've seen so far (I'm still ready my way thro the posts) it will give a further boost to my activities in my workshop.

John

Many miles to travel before I sleep

Hello John

Nice to see you, im new here as well but i have to say your in with a nice bunch of lads in here all keen as mustard and a lot of talent for machining.

Cheers Kevin

Hi Kevin

Good to hear from you - not only have i discovered a new hobby to satisfy my hands on approach I also meet a bunch of similar minded guys. Nothing like a day in the workshop followed by an evening talking shop over the internet. I just hope some of that talent for machining rubs off on me !

All the best

John

Hi John,
So you took my advice then and joined in. Well done. I know it is difficult making your first ever post to a site like this but I hope the welcome you will get wiil give you the inspiration to carry on posting.
As I have told you many times before, if you are stuck just ask. The guys on here are dying to try and help newcomers to the art of machining.
The reason no one else has replied yet (Kevin is also from the UK) is that they are still asleep or working.
This just might save me answering your emails so often (only joking of course).

John

JohnS,

Welcome to the site from the other side of the pond. I'm pushing 70 also and have built a number of Elmer's engines.

MILLENG.jpg

It's really great to see so many folks from the UK on this forum. You lot have a long and highly respected reputation for model engineering and we Yanks can learn much from you. Plus, we share a common language - though I'll wager both of us might argue that point at times :).

Feel free to ask lots of questions. Remember that even the simplest questions can elicit responses that trigger new ways of thinking about the problem at hand or an allied problem. Some of my best ideas have come from thinking about how to answer a simple question.

Hello Marv

Thanks for the warm welcome Marv though I feel a bit of a fraudster being included in "you lot have a long and highly respected reputation for model engineering". In my case I have a short and highly respected reputation for turning usable bar stock into waste.

Interesting to see your version of Elmer Verberg's horizontal factory engine. I thought the Acrylic/Perspex cover on the steam chest a nice touch - I assume it runs OK like that ? Have you run it on steam or maybe just air ?

All the best

John

Many miles to go before I sleep

JohnS
You won't regret the addition of DRO's. I now make very high accuracy swarf rather than the clumsy outof tolerance stuff I made before adding mine. It's good enough now that I'd probably display it, but the wife says I do quite enough of that on the carpets...(grin)

Welcome to the forum. Many of us are just learning this black art form, but we've gained some great adult supervision of late. Bogster and I seem to require a bit of added looking after, so I'm more than a little impressed that you joined up, even in spite of his encouragement....(looking over shoulder with an evil grin).

Steve
In the land ot the blind, a one eyed man is King... now where did I put that darned dog?

Welcome JohnS

I think you will find Elmer's designs a very nice thing to work with.

Rick

Hi Cedge and Rake60

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Looks like a wonderful site I am still trying to find my way round it and then theres the links to your own sites - at this rate it will be quite some time before I get back to actually producing something in the workshop.

Best wishes

John

JohnS said:
Hello Marv

Interesting to see your version of Elmer Verberg's horizontal factory engine. I thought the Acrylic/Perspex cover on the steam chest a nice touch - I assume it runs OK like that ? Have you run it on steam or maybe just air ?

The plexiglas cover is for shows and demos where I amuse myself by trying to explain the operation of a D-valve to mechanically inept yuppies.

When I run the engine on steam, the plastic cover is replaced with a proper brass cover.

JohnS :
welcome to the board. My old south bend is defiantly older than I am but the old girl does a good job for the home shop. I think most of us have had a couple false starts with building engines. you can see my engines in the Photos and Videsos section. under the heading Tin's Little engines. I have been working on a Elmers Mine Engine for a while now. And just started as pair of mill engines with my son . I did step one on about 5 cyinders. we also have the bases and bearing blocks cut and squared.
Tin

Latest posts

Back