late introduction

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeusrekning

Reaction score
My name is Tim. I live in upstate South Carolina. 26 year old job shop manager. Grew up living next to a small machine shop and started cleaning up there one summer when was 12yo. I started working there part time @ 16. The owners wife baby sat me as a child, I was helping the owner work on stuff and doing yard work as long as I remember. He took me under his wing and taught me lot about machining and engineering (he and his two sons were ME's). I moved away and left that shop about 4 years ago hoping to go to school for engineering. The General Manager at the shop I went to work for quit about 6mths after I started so I got moved up. Most of my experience is with single axis CNC lathes and vertical CNC mills. my trainer strongly believed in being familiar with manual machining before starting with CNCS. I am really glad he did that. I was trained using bridgeport mills, clausing, colchester, and hardinge lathes. I have been spoiled completely by using there Hardinge toolmakers lathe for so long. It was so precise and accurate. It had digital readout and and features for single point threading that made it enjoyable the cut threads. The only machine I own is an old, small Craftsman lathe that I thought was a lost hope but after seeing a few guys on here and what they have done with similar machines I have hope. I really have enjoyed reading the past post and am glad I was able to find this young of a forum and hope I can help contribute to help it grow.
Lastly, My intererst include anything mechanical, beginning with anything that has wheels and IC engines. 

A Late Welcome Tim.

I am a CNC operator for a day job, but I had 18 years experience on
manual machines before moving to that area. I do like my job, but
making that perfectly fitting part on a small manual machine is much
more satisfying. The fact that you don't have an inspector pointing out
your errors is a BIG bonus! LOL

Great to have you with us!

Rick

Hi Tim. nice to have you here.

I was raised in a manual machine shop too. Trained by grumpy old men.

Kenny

Hi Tim,

Glad you decided to join the group. Look forward to your company.

Chuck

Tim
Welcome to HMEM. I just sent you a PM.

Steve

Hi Tim,
Welcome to this group. Many of us have machines with "special" needs and this is a great forum to find a fix.

Cheers,
Phil

Welcome Tim:
I alsohavea coupleof craftman109s that I would like to get back into service. A back burner dream is starting a ME 4-H club thinking these little lates could be usefull for that.
I agreelearningon manuals is the way to go.
Tin Falcon

Latest posts

Back