Laser Engraving .... uber-kool $50,000 toy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedge

Reaction score
I stopped in to see the owner of a machine shop we often used before I retired. Don's shop is set up for both manual and CNC work so he has quite a few neat "toys". He recently took on a contract job to do some Mil-spec work for the military and one of the requirements was permanent bar coding on each component. The coding had to withstand quite a number of potential destructive damage sources, so Don had to buy a laser etching system, complete with windows based software to control it.

I brought him over to the HMEM forum to see my little Victorian engine and in the process, asked if his laser could engrave. It turns out that it can do so on a variety of metals ranging from cast iron, steel, stainless, aluminum, copper, brass, bronze and a whole bunch of exotics I'll never machine. He took me over to play with the system and I'll have to say it was astounding.

This thing can do a number of tricks. For etching, it can permanently burn an image, text, or bar code onto the metal at the molecular level without so much as rustling the surface. On top of that, it can do it in multi-color if the metal is stainless or ferrous based. It takes advantage of the various colors so well known to those who heat treat metals. Micky Mouse looked as good on metal as he does in color print.

He then tuned the thing to engrave mode and proceeded to cut perfect letters into the metal with a much nicer look than I've seen from jeweler engraving. Not only were the results clean and crisp, Don was able to make the header text golden-copper colored while making the smaller text black. He says colors are limited on non ferrous metals, but the deep cut with a white surface face sure did look good on aluminum. Unfortunately we ran out of time before he could demo the same setup with a black face.

I asked what a small "one off" tag for an engine would cost, should Joe Six-pack wander in off the street asking for one and was shocked to learn he'd do it for about $6.00, including setup, assuming it's a simple design..... about twice that if things are a bit more complex. I didn't ask about prices for the color work, but will be happy to do so if anyone would like to consider it.

Seems like a cheap way to add a nice classy look to a build and I'm not afraid to recommend Don after having happily dealt with him for nearly 30 years. I think my Victorian will be getting a bit of high tech engraving in the very near future. Beats getting a tattoo myself....(grin)

Steve

That sounds really neat! Do you think he'd let you shoot a short video of it? I'd love to see it in action.

Cedge

Wow. That sure sounds like it would be worth seeing in action. I bet you will find an excuse to drop in to see it action again. If you can, please take your camera with you.

Look forward to seeing a bit of fancy work on your Victorian. I think you feel the same way about tattoo's as I do. Not for me.

Cheers :)

Don

I was wondering if he could import various file formats, say .jpg so we could send him a logo and have it burned into a piece?

Had a guy here in town with a laser but he just used it on wood. But he could put your company logo, club logo or any other art work onto anything made of wood.

Gail
I need to go back and shoot a few photos. This machine seems to be doing even cleaner work than the one shown in the link.

Steve

I am sure it is Steve.
Most engraving shop use relatively inexpensive CO2 lasers, which will not directly engrave metal until you start getting into very high powers. For direct metal marking, either YAG lasers or fiber (Yb) lasers are being used.

The YAG and fiber lasers both have wavelengths of about 1 micro meter while the CO2 laser wave length is about 10 times that at about 10 micro meter. The smallest spot size you can focus to is a function of wavelength and focal length of the lens.

From a practical standpoint, about the smallest line width or spot size you can draw with a CO2 laser is about 0.005 inch. The YAG and fiber lasers can easily get down to about 0.0005 inch because of the wavelength involved and the nature of the lens that can be used on each. For reference, an HP laser printer in black and white mode has a line width of about 0.004 as the finest line it can draw. The other thing about it is for the same amount of laser power, if you decrease the spot size by a factor of 10, the power density on the work goes up by a factor of 100. That is the reason that a low power YAG or fiber can directly mark metal where a CO2 cannot. To make nameplates and the like the metal surface is coated with paint or lacquer and the coating is burned away. I think that is what Tony's plate is like. It is used a lot in engraving shops.

I have an old 30 watt laser engraver and about the best I can do with it with a short focal length lens and all the optics freshly cleaned is about 0.005, but in normal operation it is about 0.006 spot size or a little bit more because I use a longer focal length lens for a greater depth of field for cutting operations. I would like better, but I only use it for hobby purposes and the price was right. It was worn out when I got it so the price was really right.

The one you saw was probably a fiber laser if it is fairly new. The price on them is about 60 percent of a YAG, but they have only been available for the last few years.

Probably more than you wanted to know about lasers. ;D ;D

Gail in NM

Back