Larger format Prusa 3D Printer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

GreenTwin

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out about a new 14"x14"x14" print area 3D printer that will be offered by Prusa (called the Prusa XL).

I was hoping they would come out with something more like a 24" cubed print area, but this is the size they are offering.
Compared to commercial 3D printers, the price is not too bad.

I will have to consider one of these printers for pattern making.
It would save a lot of time.

Looks like many improvements over the last model.

kf2qd

Reaction score
Build your own. The motion hardware just relies on some settings in the software. My son has done that a couple times to make a very tall printer.

GreenTwin

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen quite a few folks build their own 3D printers successfully.

I am in a position where I don't have much time, and any time spent on making things has to be compared with money lost when I could be working.

So a Prusa XL is inexpensive for me, since it would cost me perhaps 10 times that much if I built it myself.

Time = money

If I were retired (I am not), it would be a different story, where I would have an almost infinite amount of time, and a finite amount of money.

Edit:

And another consideration for me is that I consider any time not spent on engine design and casting to be a diversion down a fork in the road, and so I can easily lose sight of my main goal if I am not careful, which is to design, cast, and build functional engines.

I have all sorts of hobbies, and I have to pick and choose which ones to focus on intensely, otherwise there is the danger that everything gets watered down to the point where I never really get anything done, and more importantly engines don't get built.

Last edited:

ozzy09

Reaction score
I am thinking about purchasing the Sovol SV03 since it has good reviews. It is direct drive, which is very good. It also has a BL-Touch pre-installed. It is also fairly large at 350x350x400. The negative is that it has a big, moving bed. In other words, it is not CoreXY. However i dont know much about pricing currently searching here. I think that I am going to buy one to tide me over until Prusa can deliver the Prusa XL.

GreenTwin

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prusa has delayed the XL due to supply chain problems, and some changes to the design.

They had to find another processor chip (or chips), and rework the firmware, which I am sure is extremely time consuming.

I am not sure if the XL will hit the market.
It sounds like they will be able to make a limited quantity of them, but it is looking like demand is going to far exceed supply for the foreseeable future.

I am wondering when I pre-ordered my XL.
I can't recall if I ordered it the same day as I received the advertisement, or whether I hesitated a few days/weeks.

Prusa is talking about filling the first day orders, and so if I am on that list, I may get one.

If I am not on the fist day list, then it may be a year or more before I can get one.

So far I just have made a refundable deposit, so I guess I wait it out.

Edit:
I don't need it right now, but if I ever retire, it would be something nice to have.

Last edited:

Zeb

Reaction score
Have you considered the Elegoo Saturn 2 as an alternate? The build is a lot smaller (8.62 x 4.84 x 9.84), but you can break the model up if you need to (or buy two). I've found dealing with the resin mess a bigger time saver than messing with my extruder and all the post-process sanding & filling. My extruder machine caught fire once (fixed with correct gauge wire + mosfet) and has had thermal runaway from the temp probe coming lose. I'm a little biased on my experience for sure.

Both types require some troubleshooting to start out and you probably don't need the resolution for casting. When the time comes that you need it though it's really nice.

GreenTwin

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Prusa MK3S, and so it is not like I actually need another 3D printer right now, but like I said, in the future, it would be nice to have a larger format printer.

I have decided not to get a resin printer.
After reading about the mess, smell, and other problems, I won't be getting one.

I will stick with extruder machines.
They work quite well, but I could use a larger format machine.

I have looked at some BIG 3D printers, such as 36" cubed, but that is just a pipe dream.

Reactions: Zeb

GreenTwin

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
The supply chain is not good these days, as far as chips, and many other things such as electrical equipment.

An electrical equipment sales rep said they have trouble getting resin, which is what all the insulators are made of.

Another rep for outdoor medium voltage equipment said his manufacturer had stopped making equipment that has chips in it that they cannot source.
So entire product lines are just going away.

Strange world these days.
The manufacturer of too much stuff got concentrated in one country, and things won't improve until that is diversified to other countries that don't have harsh and ongoing shutdowns.
Lots of folks are moving their plants out of the problem countries, and some are reshoring to the US and other countries.

Its never really a good idea to single-source everything from one country.

Reaction score
----------------Snipped------------------------------
Strange world these days.
The manufacturer of too much stuff got concentrated in one country, and things won't improve until that is diversified to other countries that don't have harsh and ongoing shutdowns.
Lots of folks are moving their plants out of the problem countries, and some are reshoring to the US and other countries.

Its never really a good idea to single-source everything from one country.

I agree! As a retired machine designer/builder who worked in manufacturing for about 60 years I have been greatly saddened by the move to offshore manufacturing. Now, to bring things back, there will be a HUGE lack of human resources that know what to do. It would take decades to re-populate manufacturing facilities, but the pay required to compete would be lower than US workers would accept now. It would take big changes in taxing of imports to make it feasible now, raising prices on products. It is going to be a tough change, IF it ever happens to any real degree.

GreenTwin

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am always shocked when I see or visit modern manufacturing plants in the US these days.
Its always "Where is everybody?".

Lots of robots and mechanization.
Not many people, even in very large plants.

That seems to be the trend.
Gone are the days of 2,000 folks walking into the plant on every shift.

awake

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the Elegoo Saturn 2 as an alternate? The build is a lot smaller (8.62 x 4.84 x 9.84), but you can break the model up if you need to (or buy two). I've found dealing with the resin mess a bigger time saver than messing with my extruder and all the post-process sanding & filling. My extruder machine caught fire once (fixed with correct gauge wire + mosfet) and has had thermal runaway from the temp probe coming lose. I'm a little biased on my experience for sure.

Both types require some troubleshooting to start out and you probably don't need the resolution for casting. When the time comes that you need it though it's really nice.
Yikes - I hope you mean that the firmware shut down the machine due to thermal runaway, not that it actually ran away and overheated! There are horror stories on-line for machines that did not have the thermal runaway protection enabled, which seems insane to me - it is simply a matter of setting a parameter in the build of the firmware.

GreenTwin

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from Prusa.

The single-head XL shipping will start in March of this year.

Multi-head machines will take two months longer to begin shipping.

I ordered a single-head machine, but I have no idea where I am on the Prusa order list.
I could be number 100, or number 50,000.

If they can begin shipping any units at all, that would be better than nothing.

I am a bit wary of a new and untested (untested by the general public at large) machine, but I know Prusa will stand behind their machines no matter what.

Last edited:

ddmckee54

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
My D6 clone had a 50 cent 10A relay controlling the 24V power circuit, that would see over a 12A load whenever just the extruder and bed heaters were both on. These relays regularly failed. The OEM's solution was to show you how to bypass this relay, which eliminated the software safeties for heating.

My solution, a 20A relay that had the same footprint as the original 10A relay - cost me the outrageous sum of $1.99.

Don

Latest posts