Larger format Prusa 3D Printer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

GreenTwin

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out about a new 14"x14"x14" print area 3D printer that will be offered by Prusa (called the Prusa XL).

I was hoping they would come out with something more like a 24" cubed print area, but this is the size they are offering.
Compared to commercial 3D printers, the price is not too bad.

I will have to consider one of these printers for pattern making.
It would save a lot of time.

Looks like many improvements over the last model.

kf2qd

Reaction score
Build your own. The motion hardware just relies on some settings in the software. My son has done that a couple times to make a very tall printer.

GreenTwin

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen quite a few folks build their own 3D printers successfully.

I am in a position where I don't have much time, and any time spent on making things has to be compared with money lost when I could be working.

So a Prusa XL is inexpensive for me, since it would cost me perhaps 10 times that much if I built it myself.

Time = money

If I were retired (I am not), it would be a different story, where I would have an almost infinite amount of time, and a finite amount of money.

Edit:

And another consideration for me is that I consider any time not spent on engine design and casting to be a diversion down a fork in the road, and so I can easily lose sight of my main goal if I am not careful, which is to design, cast, and build functional engines.

I have all sorts of hobbies, and I have to pick and choose which ones to focus on intensely, otherwise there is the danger that everything gets watered down to the point where I never really get anything done, and more importantly engines don't get built.

Last edited:

Latest posts