Knee deep in popcorn.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
The modest start to yet another popcorn engine.

1. Flywheel - straight spokes because the 1/4" brass rod I had refused to bend even after heavy annealing, it would go so far then snap (cold short).

2. Cylinder - slightly modified from Stew's design. Bore take out to 9/16" amd a little longer.

3. The other end - 5 bolts in this end - just to be different.

More to come as it progresses, but it won't be an intense build thread - that's been pretty well covered already.

Hi Tel
Ill be here Buddy
Looking forward to this one :bow:
Pete

tel said:
the 1/4" brass rod I had refused to bend even after heavy annealing, it would go so far then snap (cold short).

Hi Tel

I'm following with interest mate.

I'm not sure if this would be classed as "teaching you to suck eggs" but it sounds like the 1/4" stuff you've got might be a 'beta' brass, you may do better with an alpha brass.

less zinc = less brittle

A bit late for this one, of course, but for the future, a brass with a higher % of Copper might just bend as far as you want it to.

Bez

Looking good Tel

Increasing the bore is a good idea, at 1/2" I think they are a little under powered.

Watch out for those Hex bolts fouling the cross head guide I swopped mine for slotted cheese heads.

Stew

Nice start Tel ... looking forward to a great build. :)

Pat H.

looking good tel. i got my popcorn done, did the curved spokes, but also had a hard time with the bending i went threw a lot of brass before i got them. i would bend a little the reheat and dunk in cold water, finally got then.i have it together but do not have it running on air not sure if my timing is off or need more air pressure, using an airbrush comp.going to try with my larger comp. then will post a pic. and soon hope to be able to post a video. again looking good and a fun build. jonesie

OooooooooK, a start on the steam chest, hampered by the fact that Harold's 4th dimension has et the bit of 2 x 2 x 1/4 brass I use for these. Nothing for it but to make it up with four sides + the boss.

Pinned and silver soldered

A little trick - put a deep centre in the boss before you install it - makes life so much easier later on

And a start made on the cleaning up - if I'm not back in a month send sandwiches!

Tel,

This should be a good one to watch. I like your flywheel as it is. The 5 bolts on the cylinder look good: Thanks to you for being different.

--ShopShoe

Nice start, Tel. Looking forward to seeing your variations.

Chuck

Another movie that requires popcorn!!! :big:

This is going to be another winner!!!
I can feel it!!!

Andrew

Tel I always make things like this a shade larger then you can machine them just like a casting, far easier than spending a day with a sheet of abbrasive on a flat surface. :)

J

;D I thought I had done so here, but it turned out a bit closer to the wire than I expected - did have enough to set it up in the 4 jaw and machine the boss end tho', so that saved a bit of time.

Tel - Looking real good.... I also like your five bolt pattern which looks more realistic and "Industrial". I would have never though of making the steam chest up from scrap but that is a masterful touch. I am impressed. I'll be pulling up a chair and munching my popcorn on this thread as well.

Keep up the good work and keep your stuff away from that insidious fourth dimension.

Harold

I like the idea of a 'building up' or fabricating different parts from multiple pieces. From an economics stand point it is just good common sense. To use a solid piece of metal that steam chest would require and then leave 1/2 to 3/4 of it on the floor as swarf, is just wasteful, especially when the availability of consumable materials can be limited. Well done Tel, Thm: I'm looking forward to the rest of the journey. A nice tip about putting a center drill into the gland stub before you silver soldered the assembly together, and I like the pinning as well.

BC1
Jim

Back