Kiwi piston dimensions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ginn

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys. I have completed the machining of the piston for the Kiwi MK2 from solid. All is well and I have left the length as 1 1/8inch which is longer than needed.

My question is "how far from the top of the cylinder should the top of the piston be". This obviously affects the compression and Westbury makes a reference to this for the cylinder machining. The engine is only intended for occasional use and will not be used to drive anything.

I would appreciate any guidance

Many thanks

Mike

If it were me I'd leave it full height and shorten if need be. Leave ring grooves lower on the piston in case it needs lowering. I tend to think slightly higher compression ratios are good in a model as they seem to make idling lower and more consistent, there are limits of course.

Thanks for that reply. As an update I found I had the GA which shows the top of the piston flush with the cylinder liner top so I guess that is what I will do.

I cut up my drawings and scan each part and print on A4 (letter) size. During this process I "lost" the GA but now found!

Thanks

Mike

Hello Mike,
My drawings are in inch and the piston top is flush with the top of cylinder liner.
Hope this helps,
John

Attachments

• kiwi II Pistion in inch.jpg
    kiwi II Pistion in inch.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Kiwi piston top.jpg
    Kiwi piston top.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back