Discussion in 'Engines From Castings' started by vcutajar, Dec 1, 2011.
It looks all so great!!!! I hope it will work for you... So much work too make that.
Lookin good Vince!
GEAT job! excuse me these casting parts is your own casting
Thanks guys. Maybe today I will try starting the engine with the new fuel tank.
Happykingkong I bought the castings from Hemingway in the UK (http://www.hemingwaykits.com/).
The fuel tank works. Yippee.
Initially it felt like there was a little fuel starvation so I increased the vent hole in the fuel tank lid from 1mm to 1.5mm and it fixed the problem. So I decided to make a final video of the engine running and during one of the runs, the fuel tank fell off. The soft solder joint of the carb banjo failed .
And just to show that not everything goes to plan I am posting the video of the fuel tank failure. Excuse the last word at the end of the video .
Fixed that problem and the engine is running again .
Also during one of the runs, I realised that I totally forgot the external oil reservoir. Before each run I usually inject oil directly into the crankshaft with a syringe. Now I have to figure out where to put the oil reservoir. Most probably I need to make an independent stand for the reservoir.
Why is it that the final pieces of a project take so long to get done??
Could it be that maybe subconciously we do not want the build to end??
Well, finally, I am happy to say that the final piece of the jigsaw is now finished and fitted.
The pedestal to support the external oil reservoir has been done. Nothing special, made from aluminium. No photos were taken during the making of this part but I took a photo of the finished pedestal in its place.
Hopefully, weather permitting, I will take some photos of the finished Kiwi using natural light and post them here as a final installment to this build.
I hate to see this great build come to an end; it has been a great ride and the finished project turned out just wonderful.
Congratulations on a job well done.
Thanks Dave for the nice words on my crude attempt at building my first engine. Appreciate it.
As promised, I am attaching some glamour shots of the Kiwi and a last video to my last update of this build.
I think, I have been at it for 14 months, which considering the slow pace I work at, is not a lot. I would like to thank everybody who followed this build, especially those that offered tips and also words of encouragement. Thank you.
The engine runs on unleaded petrol (gasoline) and no gaskets were used as suggested by Westbury.
Looks and runs as a well finished engine, be proud of it, congratulations !
the whole story, an awsome thread, thanks
I would find it very difficult to say that your beatiful little engine is a crude attempt.
Finished product runs, neatly done, nicely displayed, congratulations, nice job.
Thanks Gedeon and Gus
Too pretty nice *club**club**beer**club**club**club**club**club**club* GREAT JOB!!!!!
I have to say that that was one of most enjoyable posts I have read in a long time.
Great job on the engine!
Also thanks GaryK. Glad you enjoyed the build log.
Came back to my own build log and saw that I have more than 78,000 views. Wow. Thanks guys for stopping by.
I also noticed that for some reason the videos are not displaying. I checked on youtube and they are still there. Unfortunately I do not know why they are not showing
It is normal that you have so may views. It is a great job!
The videos work fine for me.
Nice little project you have there. I'll be watching with great interest.
manop thailand I use the Language Translation are sorry.
Indeed , you make a nice build log from the engine.
Henry, thank you for pointing out that the videos are still visible. I just could not see them using my old Internet explorer. So I installed Chrome and low and behold I could see the videos again. So the problem is just from my side.
Separate names with a comma.