Kiwi Mk2 Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Vince,
I can fully understand you! I hope tonight I can enjoy the same feeling of having a self running motor...

Giacomo

a week ago you were ready to give up, I thought !
congratulation, you have got a running engine not a paperweight...
nice engine, nice noise too, I understand that you're happy.
and now tuning and tweaking, again a lot of happy moment to come

Thanks Henry. I am over the moon at this time. My first ever model engine coming to life was an undescribale (is this a proper word?) moment.

Yes the problem was not enough compression. The new piston fixed that.

I should make the Kiwi as my avatar now that it is running.

Vince

Hi Vince,

Yes when the hair on the back of your neck bristles when your engine runs for the first time, this is what makes it all worth while.

Congrats, well done, bigger fuel tank next .

George

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Now I need to finish it off and maybe start thinking what to do next. For sure not another casting.

Vince

Wow!

Vince
That is terrific news and it sounds great; I'm so happy for you; This is an accomplishment that you will cherish and remember for many years.

Congrats,

Waiting to see the finished project and video.
Dave

Thanks camm-1, Charles and Dave. Much appreciated.

Well I have learnt my lesson (a bit late). A casting kit as a first engine is not for the faint-hearted. Thankfully I only had to redo the piston.

I have ordered some 8mm OD brass tube from the UK for the exhaust pipe and am actively thinking whether to do the base with wood or aluminium. Don't know which is best. Also I still have to do the float chamber but the casting is not very good. I was thinking of making it from brass instead of aluminium and instead of a float chamber I might do it as the fuel tank.

Vince

Vince, Congrats.
There's not much worse than putting a piece of your life into building a little engine and not being able to get it running, but when you make first fire, wow!!! What a feeling. Is your hat getting tight?:D

Well done.

GUS

Nice One Buddy :)
Pete

Dear Vince,

I'am very happy in your place best man......I really want too build such a motor , but now I read all , I will be not able too make it.
I never learned machining!! I buy all the machines , it looks very simple , but it is absolutely NOT!
You did a very good & nice work , congratulations.

Best regards

Barry

Thanks Gus, Pete and Barry.

Barry, like you I do not have a machining background. What I know is either hands on trial and error or reading on the internet. Before I started this project I had already done two other models (not engines). Both were big projects but from bar stock.

I have to admit that I started the Kiwi because the literature gave me the impression that it was a good beginners project. Now that I have nearly finished it I am now of the opinion that it is definetly not a beginners project especially if one has not done any machining beforehand.

So, Barry if you do not have any machining experience yet, I suggest you try something simpler.

Vince

It was quite a productive day. I got one of the three items remaining unexpectedly in the bag.

I ordered the brass tube for the exhaust and bought a piece of brass for the float chamber. I am not going to use the aluminium casting that came with the kit for the float chamber as it will cause me a lot of grief. I then went to an acquaintance with my engine to hopefully get a base done for it.

He is a retired wood-turner but still goes to his shop to tinker and do the odd job. He is an avid plane-spotter and sometimes I visit him and talk about his favorite subject.

I entered his shop holding my Kiwi in my hand with the temporary MDF base I am using. After commenting favourably about the engine he then said that that base will not do and went scurrying to the back of his shop. Came back with a piece of oak and said that this should do for the base. Thirty minutes later I was going out of his shop with a nice base for the Kiwi and the best part is that he refused payment for the job. My lucky day.

This evening spent some time figuring out how to convert the float chamber into a fuel tank.

DSCF0748.JPG

DSCF0749.JPG

DSCF0750.JPG

OMG. Today I received the 8mm OD brass tube from ebay seller maccmodels. That was very very fast. I have bought other things from him in the past and was always happy with the transactions. The tube was taped to a piece of wood (photo 1) so that it does not get bent in transit.

I am going to use the brass flange I previously used as a template (photo 2). The tube is a tight push fit into the flange. I have not decided if I should silver solder it or just leave it. Also I was thinking of doing a 90 deg bend in the tube. I have to think about it.

Started also on the float chamber which is going to be transformed into a fuel tank. Faced off the side of a piece of brass using the boring head to a radius of 12.7mm (photo 3). This will be the boss which will be soldered to the tank body (photo 4). This will eventually be screwed into the carb banjo.

DSCF0751.JPG

DSCF0752.JPG

DSCF0753.JPG

DSCF0754.JPG

Machined the tank body to size and profiled the bottom of the tank (photo 1). Drilled and tapped 6mm fine the boss at the bottom of the tank. I then soft soldered the boss I previously made to the side of the tank (photo 2). After clean up (photo 3).

DSCF0755.JPG

DSCF0756.JPG

DSCF0757.JPG

Some more work on the tank. Drilled and tapped 6mm fine the side boss of the tank (photo 1) and made a trial fit to the carb (photo 2). Looking good.

Drilled and bored the inside of the tank (photo 3) and did another trial fit (photo 4). Not bad. I hope it works.

DSCF0758.JPG

DSCF0759.JPG

DSCF0760.JPG

DSCF0761.JPG

Thanks Barry. Still do not know if this fuel tank is going to work. We'll see.

Vince

Latest posts

Back