Kit Boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOC123

Reaction score
Dear All
I am new here and want a little advice.
I am interested on building a small boiler to power little model engines rather than using compressed air.
I have found http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Live-Steam-Vertical-Engine-Boiler-Casting-Kit-BLR-1-/130409701206?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5d061f56 kit and am wondering whether it is suitable for a newby to build. I can machine well enough to make the engines but I don't have any welding skills or equipment. I only have propane soldering stuff not oxy acetylene.
Is it worth me trying at all with this limited equipment?
I am in Oz and read that there are restrictions on boilers. Would this apply with one of these little boilers?
Cheers

Terry

Terry

Take a look a at the basic boiler threads on the forum. There are about four that will give you an idea. Firebirds thread got me started and I did Sandy C's 3" vertical boiler. The drawings for that are on downloads page.

Your fellow Ozzie's will give you the low down on the AMBSC but there's also been plenty on that posted here, less that 1 litre an 75mm diameter (I recall) puts you in the right category.

You don't need oxy your propane torches will do you. Again take a look at the threads.

Good luck and give it a go. The real experts will pitch in if you need help.

Pete

Terry,

First - Welcome to our forum. wEc1 Please tell us a bit about yourself in our Welcome thread.

The AMBSC lower limits for copper boilers are

<250kPa (35PSI) working pressure.
< 50mm (2") barrel diameter.
< 1ltr water capacity.

As there are no sizes it's hard to say but it looks about 3" diameter, if so it falls within our Oz code. In any event the sizes, methods and materials are worth following to ensure a safe finished boiler.

Hope this helps

Best Rgards
Bob

Hi Terry,
It looks like it would fit in the AMBSC Code Part 3 Sub-Minature Boilers.
SV-1 safety valve
These safety valves use a stainless steel ball and spring in a brass body. They are set to blow at approximately 60 psi. Threaded 5/16-27 Female (1/16 NPT).
The firebox is 3" diameter x 2 1/2" high. The door opening is 1 1/2" high x 2" wide. The water space is 3 1/2" high. There are 13 flues which are 3/8" diameter, 61 square inch heating surface, 20 cubic inch volume(0.32774128 Liters).
Regards,
Gerald.

Hi Terry

That looks to be a nice boiler, but it has a nice price tag as well. From my own experience I would have a go at something a little easier for a first build (that's what I should have done). Have a look at my small steam engine build here http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=4779.0 and see if the boiler would suit your needs. It can be built for next to nothing so should a mistake creep in it won't be all the world to scrap it and start again.

Cheers

Rich

My own feeling is that while it is a fairly presentable boiler, that could be bought within the code, it is far too expensive for what you get.

As Rich says 'next to nothing' is about the right price range for a boiler in this sort of range and there is plenty of help right here in this country to get you going.

You location, however, would be a great help.

Terry,I'm in the process of building a small boiler myself.Although I had done a little silver soldering,I was surprised how much heat is required to do this sort of job.
My boiler shell is about 2-3/4",being part of an obsolete copper fire extinguisher.
I had to buy a 22mm lpg tip to do the job properly.My lpg bottle is the common or garden 9kg bottle.
As far as the kit goes,apart from the price,I'm a little dubious about the skill required to make a safe boiler out of it.So if you're new to silver soldering,you'd be better off to try your skills out on a few non-critical pieces first.Silver soldering is not that difficult,but there are pitfalls for the unwary.
I second the call to go through "Firebird"s post about building a small boiler.It is very detailed,and should be a great help.
Btw.,welcome to the best site on the net ;)

That's one of the two PMR boilers...

http://www.pmresearchinc.com/store/product.php?productid=3111&cat=7&page=1

I built it years ago using only a propane torch for soldering. It's not the most complicated design but I'll second the advice you've already been given and suggest you start with something a bit simpler.

BTW, PMR has all the fittings you'll need to kit it out - pressure gauge, plumbing parts, feedwater pump, etc..

Thanks for the replies guys.
Rich's boiler thread is great. I will go over it in more detail.
Cheers

Terry

Back