Kiln Tongs or Grabbers...?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAndrew

Reaction score
HMEM,

I'm hoping to get either pictures of homemade kiln tongs or links to commercially bought ones.

I picked up an electric kiln from a local hippie woman for only $75. It's pretty big. About 15-20 inches deep. I plan on using it to do some heat treating for now some casting later on. I need some kind of longer tongs for picking up parts. I tried using my longest channel locks but it was a bit cumbersome and too short and hot.

Anyone use plain old fireplace tongs for moving logs?

I may stack up a bunch of firebrick in there so it's not so deep to reach but still I'm curious what you pro's are using.

Thanks!
-J.Andrew

Search out a local blacksmith, they use tongs every day.

Omni,

No joy on finding a local blacksmith. That's a pretty rare thing nowadays.

Your suggestion did put me on the right track of searching the internet for "blacksmith tongs".

I found plenty of pictures and some good links for commercially made ones.

Thanks.

-J.Andrew

The old, pre wwII machinineries handbook has drawings and dimensions for blacksmith tongs. Should not be hard to find one either hard copy of PDF.
Tin

Check out guys in your area here:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/

I actually bought a couple of pairs of tongs from an American Blacksmith and had them shipped over here. Sadly I can't remember his name. If I can remember I'll let you know.

Update.

Glen Stollmeyer is the guy I bought the tongs from. Nice Tongs and a nice guy to do business with.

There is another option. There is a guy in the US that makes and sells Tong "blanks" these need to be finished off as required then pinned together. Nice product from the pictures I've seen.

Last edited:
Back