Kick start bearing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naijin

Reaction score
Hi there, I remember reading somewhere about a bearing that was used to operate the kick start on the Hoglet V Twin engine, but I can,t remember the supplier or the type of bearing used, if any one can remember the posting or the supplier I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards

Nick

Hi there, I remember reading somewhere about a bearing that was used to operate the kick start on the Hoglet V Twin engine, but I can,t remember the supplier or the type of bearing used, if any one can remember the posting or the supplier I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards

Nick

C & H Surplus USA

Slip Sprocket -Sprag Clutch part# CR202 $15,00 US

[email protected]

Thanks David, I just found the thread, will look them up

Nick

Nick, you can get sprag clutch bearings readily (and cheapish) in Australia, check with your local bearing supplier (CBC, SKF, etc). Or if you can wait, search ebay for 'one way bearing' - lots of Chinese suppliers at very cheap prices. For the little load they see, they'll last forever.

Reactions: gus
Thanks for the info Cogsy , I will try them all out.

Regards
Nick

The war surplus Matchless Bikes came with kick starter which one must give a truly wholehearted powerful kick. Failure means you get kicked on the calf very painfully.
Just a reminder.:p

The war surplus Matchless Bikes came with kick starter which one must give a truly wholehearted powerful kick. Failure means you get kicked on the calf very painfully.
Just a reminder.:p

Gus, I've had that happen on large single cylinder bikes, even with a decompression valve fitted, left me limping all day afterwards.

Paul.

Gus, I've had that happen on large single cylinder bikes, even with a decompression valve fitted, left me limping all day afterwards.

Paul.

Nearly bought the Matchless Bike for a song. A bike repair friend did forewarn Gus about kickstart bikes with magnetos and the inherent nasty kicks. However you could kick the Honda 125 to death and it won't kick back.I bought a
Honda-90 that came with electric start and hence no kick start. Ha Ha.

Thanks P.J I have found some on e-bay and ordered them, should be here in a week or so, I will give them a try as soon as I work out how to mount them.

Nick

Happy to help.
I made my own chain cogs. The one on the kicker end was drilled, bored and then carefully hand reamed to 10mm with a slightly worn reamer that I know won't go oversize. If I remember correctly the bearing is 0.01 or 0.02 mm oversize which provided for an excellent press fit. No loc tite was used.
Just make sure it's pressed in in the correct direction, they are uni directional after all. Don't ask me how I know that, but I did order two bearings and have none left.

Another item that was troublesome to find was the spring steel for the kicker return spring. I couldn't find any retailers in Sweden. Luckily, engine pull starters on radio controlled cars have what we're looking for.
Searching eBay for "pull start return spring" generated this little gem http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MACH-...sGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item2a443a5fe6
(RC engines come in different sizes, size .12 or .15 have springs that fit well on the Hoglet.)

Have fun and good luck!

Not really for this post as the bearing has to go inside the engine, but with others using one way bearings for locking onto on the outside, rather than fitting them to the engine, just make the right size spigot sticking out on your engine, and fit the one way to your starter. Much cheaper doing it that way if you have more than one engine.
Plus, if the bearing breaks up or stops gripping, which they do, you can easily make a new starter fitting, whereas you might find that getting the bad bearing out from your engine a different kettle of fish.

John

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back