Kerzel is finally running

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason that hit and miss engines run so cool, is that during the "miss" cycles they are pumping ambient temperature air through the cylinder, carrying off the heat. Many people build model hit and miss engines and run them without any water in the reservoir. However, if you run your engine for any period of time without the "miss" cycle being activated, chances are pretty good that the engine will be damaged. I'm not sure what the effect will be of having water present only in the reservoir but not all the way around the cylinder.

Brian,

I was not using viton in the Webster because I could not find the correct size, however I am using a viton ring in the Kerzel. I'm having too much fun with the Kerzel right now and will get back to the Webster later!

Thank you,

Jim
I'm almost at the point of making the piston for my Kerzel engine build, and am debating whether to make cast iron rings per the plans or to use an o ring.

Question: Did you cut the piston groove for the o ring on your Kerzel near where the plans show iron rings or in a different place? How about the width and depth of the groove to fit the o ring?

Thanks

It was a long time ago that I built my Kerzel. I put my o-ring groove 1/4" down from the top of the piston, 0.058" deep x 0.093" wide.--However, a word to the wise. The Viton rings create a lot more "drag" in the cylinder than a cast iron ring. So much so that it interferes with how many revolutions the engine will coast thru in "miss" mode. If I ever made another hit and miss, I would try really hard to make cast iron rings.

Thanks Brian, I think that I will take your advice and make cast iron rings. I will learn more that way anyway.

Paul

Back