Help Support HMEM:

Brian Rupnow

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Great job. Be proud.---Brian

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
That is beautiful - and such a nice coast between the hits. I'd love to hear more about the build - any issues you ran into, or changes you made to the plans, or so on.

Smokey Joe

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.
There are a few things that I changed from the original plans.
The first thing I did was made the base taller so the flywheels wouldn't touch when set down on something. I changed it to electronic ignition, I used needle bearings on the rod and crank. I think I left the compression ratio about the same. the flywheels are a little bit wider then the plans called out for. The governor springs are a little bit lighter. And I decided to buy a spark plug instead of making one.
I thought that the valves would give me a hard time as in not wanting to seal but I lucked out and they were okay. It was the piston rings that gave me a headache. I still have a hard time making them so they seal good. I suppose I will just have to keep trying different methods of making them.

ShopShoe

Reaction score
That's very good. It runs so very smoothly.

I like your finish: Very Nice, but too much bling.

Do you have another project in the wings?

--ShopShoe

Smokey Joe

Reaction score
That's very good. It runs so very smoothly.

I like your finish: Very Nice, but too much bling.

Do you have another project in the wings?

--ShopShoe
Thanks for the kind words.
Yes, I have several projects. A Baker ball hopper 2hp castings from lone star, 2 cylinder silver bullet, open frame 6 cylinder, Bruce Macbeth 4 cylinder, and a little brother hit & miss. I have started to make parts for all of them. The ball hopper is the most complete. I have already fired it up. Then I took it all apart to get it ready for paint. I probably shouldn't have started so many engines. It's going to take a long time to finish them all. But I love the Hobby.
Smoky Joe

Group Builder