Kerr Electro Melt

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No but I have been wanting one for inside melting. I have a little baby furnace made out of a coffers can and uses a propane torch from harbor freight for heat. It melts brass and bronze just fine.

Hi

Has any one tryed used a Kerr Electro Melt for Brass or Bronze?

I use one sold by Contenti that is similar to the Kerr. Works like a charm. The melting and casting is no problem at all I can fire it up and have a bronze casting in about an hour. I have the 100 oz model, but mine is older and round, not square like the current offerings.

JerryK

What are the elements like on them? I have a cheaper furnace but as the heating elements are a coil of wire, I find especially if I do brass the high heat and subsequent cooldowns oxidise the coils, and they are prone to breaking. Drawing in condensation while cooling speeds this along. Although the coils for mine are only around $25, it's still annoying. I'd like to go to a bigger one with more solid coils.

cheers, Ian

A very expensive piece of equipment for such a simple job , and it will be working near its limit.
It would be more cost effective to get your patterns cast in a commercial foundry .

I think the word you're looking for is Kanthal. Lot's of it available on EBay

Chuck

there is many back yard foundrys looking to work for scraps!! Literally!! What do you need??

I have an older model Kerr Electro Melt Maxi (100 oz) in good working order that I have not used for 20 years. If anyone in the US is interested I am open to selling it. I did about 15 brass pours and probably a dozen aluminum pours with it. PM me if interested.
Gail in NM

Latest posts

Back