Kerosene in boiler for winter storage?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

railroader

Reaction score
Hello

Last year, I bought a 1/8 scale steam locomotive. The boiler is 100% iron. It doesn't have any sacrificial anode to prevent corrosion. I was told that it might be good to fill the boiler with kerosene in order to store the boiler for winter months. In this way, corrosion could be prevented at locations where small amounts of water would otherwise remain. How does this sound to the members of this forum?

Thanks

Chris Schilling

Midland MI

sounds like a bad idea..... try increasing the pH of the water to 10 and fill it full with no air.

Hello Chris,
We should probably make a distinction here, your boiler is almost certainly welded steel rather than iron. There is a significant difference.

As for the kerosene, you either misunderstood the suggestion, or the person who gave you that advice put the "if some is good - more is better" treatment on an old idea. Several decades ago it was thought that one way to protect a steel boiler (a model boiler) during a long layup was to open the dome (or a top-side bushing) while it was still hot (but not steaming) and add a cup or two of kerosene to the water and then drain the boiler. The theory was the kero would float on the water and as the water level fell the kero would coat the interior surfaces and thereby protect against rusting. That seemed reasonable, it still seems reasonable, but I don't know how well it actually worked and in listening to steel boiler talk (for the last 20+ years) I don't ever hear that treatment mentioned. That tells me there other, assumed better, ways of protecting a stored boiler have been found. One of them, as just mentioned, was to store it full of treated water. I only build and operate copper boilers so there are probably recent preventative treatments than I don't know about.

Last edited:
It is welded steel.

Not sure about capacity. It is about 15 cm diameter by 30 cm long.

I like the high pH solution.

Cheers

Chris,
A trick taught to me by the Stationary Engine folks was to add some soluble oil (a good cutting oil) to some water and add that to the water cooling tank. After running, drain the tank, it'll be coated with soluble oil and all its rust preventatives.

Note that soluble oils aren't really soluble, but they do form stable emulsions.

Phil

any petrolem product added to a boiler system could create a hot spot in the boiler when fired. do not put it in your boiler period end discussion.

Any oil in the boiler will give you a lot of problems with the boiler priming as it is put back into use.

There are two options one is to fill to the brim with a stronger mix than usual of boiler treatment such as this . If using this method make sure you are storing in a frost free place

The second is to blow down while still warm and then keep the boiler dry by placing a low wattage lightbulb in the firebox, the small amount of heat will drive off any moisture, leave something open on the boiler so any moisture can get out

J

Jason B, that tannin based boiler water is interesting stuff, I can see where it would work out great. I have been working in water treatment plants for many years and cringe when leaf season comes around. The tannins released from the leaves can be a real PITA to remove at times.

The second is to blow down while still warm and then keep the boiler dry by placing a low wattage lightbulb in the firebox, the small amount of heat will drive off any moisture, leave something open on the boiler so any moisture can get out

This is the recommendation at my club. Treating the feedwater with LSB8000 is also recommended.

Why not take the air out of the boiler by placing the boiler under a vacuum?

No air, no rust.

Any remaining moisture will leave with the air.