k 27 wheels

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalem9

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi here is a picture of the wheels I casted for my K 27 by Kozo . It was a lot of work ,I finely got them all done . A wonderful expeirence.by the way . Thanks Dale

002 (2).jpg

The wheels look great! I'd be interested in the order of operations, etc that you used in machining them. I'm about to machine my first cast flywheel and it would be a big help.

Stan I used a carbide cutter to remove the outer skin and then a high speed steel bit to finish . The outer skin has sand in it sometimes . I also used a sand blaster to pre clean the sand off as much as I could .Good Luck . Dale

Dale
Thanks for the tips. I'll have a go tomorrow.

Dale,
I echo everyone else's remarks, and then some, this is some of the best model engineering work I've seen lately, but, (and here it comes, if you haven't heard it already) as beautiful as those wheels are, if this is to be a working locomotive as opposed to a glass case model (which it qualifies for so far) sooner or later it's going to need steel tires. The question would be when to do that; now, when it's relatively simple and quick, or later, when it's not. I also recognize you may have taken this into consideration already and what you've done suits your needs. The casting work is indeed beautiful.

PS - If you would take the time, a description of your pattern making and casting process would be very interesting.

Last edited:
Hi Harry I have made plans to put iron tires on when needed . May even get to it before it is all done . Thanks for the nice comments all Dale

Last edited:
Looks as if you are busting butt there. Very nice work.

Get some scale hex bolts eventually to replace the socket heads.

Now that is looking great. I can't wait to see more so get busy.

As a boss I learned to say things like that. Much more effective than "less talk more work"

I also like the bottom up approach to construction.

A fan - Mark T

Wooooow. Those are some nice looking parts!! Were the frame pieces cut out with a water jet?

John

Hi Kvom Yes I am planing to change Most of the bolts to hex heads . I think it will look better . Thanks For looking in Guys . No water jet all by hand on my mill then filed and sanded . And yes Mark in my younger days as a boss it can really help the way you say things . Dale

Are you sure hex head is correct? Early engines had square nuts. I dont know exactly when the shift from square to hex occurred, or the vintage of this engine, but I would check it out before converting to hex.

What!? No Water jet!? That can't be true! Everyone knows you can't build anything of any consequence without Cad, laser and waterjet cutting, 3-D prototyping, a CNC Bridgeport mill, and quick-change carbide tooling. It just simply can't be done . . . or can it? ;)

Latest posts

Back