just wondering

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoseeya

Reaction score
has any body tried using window weights for cast iron for machining cylinders or other parts:confused:

I know that Bogstandard used them for the cylinders on his Paddleduck engine.

Roy.

thanks I think I am going to try to take one and grind out side down some
they say that they are cold cooled and are hard on outside. but I think I will forfit a hss cutter to try it. want to use it for cylinders:rolleyes:

Apparently, some are awful. It has been said that any ol' crap went into making them. Others have had no problems, so it could depend on the age and where they were made as to how good they are.

Same story with training weights.

These things are cheap enough, so get one (some) and try them out. If the job turns out OK, you will have done well. If it doesn't, then you won't have wasted too much money.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

I ruined a perfectly good bandsaw blade trying to cut one. Other folks have had good luck with them. "You pays your money you takes your chances".

Cheers,
Phil

With any cast iron, you have to get under the skin which is as hard as H**L. Bandsaw blades don't stand a chance. Once the skin is removed cast iron machines quite nicely with HSS or Carbide tools.

The stuff I hate is stainless steel ! It seems to work harden just from looking at it.

I am going to grind the skin off and then try cutting hope it works I have 4 or 5 of them.;D and thanks for the info.

If your going to grind the stuff, don't forget to wear a breathing mask. The dust will choke you... Or do it outside.

It is worth mentioning that sash weights are the things that are dropped after the pig iron has been poured. In other words, it can be the worst form of rubbish and can- as other have said- destroyed tooling that is more expensive than what is saved.

There is NO guarantee that after filling your precious machine with damaging rubbish that it will be any good. The recommendation is that a lathe is stripped, cleaned down and adjusted after a cast iron session.

I did it once and whilst I do not use carbides by choice anyway, I watched the carbide tips simply wear away. On the other hand, a nice bit of Meehanite can be a delight to machine.

But you still come out as if you'd spent a shift at a coal face.

Norman

Latest posts

Back