just joined

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pat

Hi all.

I am Pat and I like little steam engines. Just wanted to say hi.

Pat

Hi Pat,

Welcome aboard. Glad you decided to join us.

Chuck

Welcome Pat,
As you have most probably noticed, we like little engines as well.
Enjoy trolling thru our pages, and post if you want to.

John

Pat, welcome to the site. Make yourself at home and enjoy the festivities. Feel free to participate in any of the discussions. There are a great bunch of folks here that are more than willing to help out and share ideas.

Hello Pat,

Glad you joined. We all like little engines too.

Kenny

Welcome to the Forum, Pat. We're all just a wee bit fond of these little machines too.

Enjoy,
Steve

Welcome Pat,
I'm a new guy here too. I think all the members here have a passion for miniature mechanical mayhem. :)

Frank

Just joined today, I don't actually build small engines, I'm actually building a 1/6 scale model of a WW1 18 PDR artillery piece which could possibly be classed as a one cylinder single stroke engine, loud backfire though, but the building techniques are the same. This looks like a good site with lots of activity.

I'm fairly new here myself but welcome aboard!

What is your interest in WWI? The reason I ask is because my dad is really into WWI aircraft. There is a WWI airshow in Dayton, Ohio at the Dayton air museum every 2 years. They had a track artilary hauler there this year. The guy was driving it up and down beside the displays. My dad is building a full size Albatross DVa. He just finished restoring an Avro for Rhinebeck air museum. One of his friends has a triplane and is building a Sopwith pup for someone.

Here are some pictures:
http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/jadecy_/ww1_planes/

triplane_fred1.jpg

avro_rebuild9.jpg

I like WW1 WW2 types not the modern stuff, Here are some pictures, I'm just starting the barrel. I think historical equipment is more interesting than modern .

Barrel.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00244.jpg

the recuperator (recoil cylinder) has full internal working parts as shown on one of the pictures. COOL PLANES.

Loose,

Welcome to the forum. You'll like it here. How about amending your profile and adding your location so we know where you live?

The 18 pounder looks really great. I'm interested in building model artillery myself, having recently finished a deck gun...

gun3.jpg

Where can I get copies of the plans you're using?

Welcome to HMEM Loose Nut

Very impressive work you have there!

Rick

now that's a cannon :eek:
i like the planes as well, years ago i was into stick and tissue model planes. the ones you cut all the wing formers and other bit out of balsa wood. i have one plane left and it needs some more work but i doubt i will ever finish it.
i think it was a sopwith camel???
planeside.jpg

planefront.jpg

planewings.jpg

it was allot of work but fun work!

chuck

Ahh, another airplane guy! Small world. That's been a passion of mine for almost 50 yrs. I really enjoy designing and building r/c aircraft, exclusively for the very small Cox engines for over 15 yrs. The passion cooled somewhat 3 yrs. ago when a devious friend sold me his lathe. ;)

Here's a few pics of my little Cox Tee Dee .020 cu. in. powered biplane. It's not a scale model of anything but has visual elements from Sopwiths. It's sorta like a Pup fuse with Camel wings. 250 sq. in. wing area and weighs 8 oz. ready to fly. Needless to say, you fly that one on calm days. It has an exhaust throttle and will slow down for a perfect 3 point landing on a good day. It's more fun though to grease it in on the mains and hold the tail off with a smidge of down elevator as the speed drops. Used to drive the big-plane guys nuts. Obviously, this has to be done on a hard-surface runway. It just somersaults on grass.:)

Hmmm, time flys...the redhead is my daughter Rachel who is now deciding where to go to college this fall.

biperach-sm.jpg

bipefinifrt-sm.jpg

bipefini1small.jpg

EDIT: Oops forgot my manners. See I get all excited around airplanes.:) Welcome aboard Loose nut!

Great looking work....MORE PICTURES please.

Hey Marv, great job on that deck gun, and all the other model planes, some quality work their. I don't have any plans from other sources I make them up as I go and then I sometimes have to modify the parts when I make them so they wouldn't be much good to anyone. When I started this project I used a dos cad program, Easycad, then moved to autocad 12 for a little while, didn't like it much, then onto Quickcad a 2D program which was great and I still use it sometimes and now I use a couple of 3D solid modeling programs, so they are in a mishmash of formats which may be convertible to say a DFX format, but the drawing quality varies, I'm just a amateur draftsman with a couple of years training in high school with pen and paper and that was over 30 years ago. I work off of what ever pictures I can find and out of a book called "Early British Quick Firing Artillery" by Len Trawin at Nexus press which has some line drawings (no dimensions) as well as specs on the 18 PDR. I haven't even seen an 18 PDR in real life yet. Anything I can do to help you out with info, just ask. I'll try and get some 3D drawings of the barrel and breach block posted here if I can squeeze them out of my cad program, not always easy.
I'll check into changing my profile.

Very nice artillery Loose Nut! Even if it isn't an engine it is some very nice machining work. From the posts I've seen on here there are definitely some very talented individuals on this site!!!

Here are some of the 3D drawings of some of the parts

001.jpg

Elavatinggearassembly1.jpg

Elavatinggearassembly2.jpg

breachblock3.jpg

barrel-2.jpg

The first one is the cut away of the recuperator (recoil cylinder) , some of the springs aren't shown, which is complete, the rest I'm still working on,the second is the elevating gear and a view showing the internals, 4th is the breach block and the barrel is last. I've got some tricky work coming up, sometimes I wonder what I've got myself into.

Back