Just finished, a Rider-Ericsson hot air pumping engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very beautiful engine , nice work , i appreciate it heartily .

Hot Air Pumping Engine - I thought you had created a mechanical polotician... Oh, its an Hot Air Driven Pump...

your engine is beautiful I hope mine looks like it when finished. I have a set of castings from meyers 1/8th scale Should be a fun project. Going to start on it this winter. By the way your pictures showing setups are great you know what they say one picture worth a million words.

Hello,

I’m currently restoring an Ericsson engine for my college senior project.
Ours currently runs off of natural gas, and we were thinking of converting it to propane. I see that yours runs off of propane and I was wondering if you could send me a picture of the propane burner, and how you connect the propane to the burner section. Thanks

Absolutely fabulous. It makes me want to get motivated to finish mine. Just a question, what did you use for the displacer piston. The plans call for a metal tube with a stainless steel bottom. I'm trying a suggestion of using something called "grill brick cleaner". It's like fine lava rock but much lighter. I have mine turned on the lathe and will try using this approach.
Thanks,
Grasshopper

This is for Landon Vidrine above. I found this plan sheet, free, on the internet. It's designed by SandyC, Argyll, Scotland. It's called "3.0 dia vertical boiler burner". Drawn by A F Campbell. I've also included a picture of mine for the Ericsson. Hope it helps.
IMG_3077.JPG
IMG_3078.JPG

Grasshopper

Landon,
Here's how to connect the 1 lb. propane bottle to the burner. I'm wracking my brain, but I can't remember where I bought the valve. I'll keep searching in my bank of useless knowledge in my brain to find where I bought the valve. Find a valve, 1/4 inch hose with 1/4 inch fittings and a female air hose connector and using yellow gas teflon tape, put it all together.
Grasshopper
IMG_3080.JPG
IMG_3079.JPG

Hello,

I’m currently restoring an Ericsson engine for my college senior project.
Ours currently runs off of natural gas, and we were thinking of converting it to propane. I see that yours runs off of propane and I was wondering if you could send me a picture of the propane burner, and how you connect the propane to the burner section. Thanks
Landon,
what size Ericsson are you restoring? on my 5" i used the burner from an outdoor chicken/turkey deep fryer.

We are restoring a 5”. Thanks for all the replies! I also have a question about the paint job. Ours has been repainted and we would like to get it back to the original paint. What color were most of these engines painted?

Thanks

Waawhooo....very ,very nice. Congratulations!
Nice and shiny!

Pierkemo

Back