Just finished, a Rider-Ericsson hot air pumping engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orrin

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Here is a shot of the Rider-Ericsson hot air engine I finished just in time to show at GEARS in Portland, Oregon.

Edit0539.jpg

Here's a closer look at the upper end.

Edit0459.jpg

And, another.

Edit0475.jpg

The drawings called for the valve on the priming cup to be a dummy. On the advice of someone who had already built an R-E, I made this one functional.

Valv0472.jpg

It was a fun project. You can read a bit more about it on my Web site:

http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/pic_Pr10.htm

This project was a great confidence-builder. It ran so well that I had to build a second propane burner for it, about half the size of the one specified in the plans. After full-day runs at GEARS the water in the tank wasn't even lukewarm. (To prevent splash, the tank was only a quarter full.)

Orrin

WOW !! Beautiful job :bow: :bow:

Of course, you'll post a video :D

Mike

Orrin, that is one beautiful engine.

I saw one at an engine show a couple weeks ago and was fasinated at all the movement going on and it very quiet while running.

Orrin,

Very nice engine.

We are all looking forward to seeing it run.

Good job.

SAM

Very nice looking engine!
Price on casting kits look reasonable.
Thanks for sharing, any build pictures? or hints (tricks or problems) on creating one? = love the pin stripes, adds a lot to the model.

That is a beautiful showmanship of your craftsmanship.

Your project build is very nicely machined, assembled,
and the finish (painting) of it, makes it a work of art.

Keep up the excellent work...

Orrin

The pictures of your new toy are stunning; and as one of the lucky ones able to see this beautiful engine in person all I can say is wow. The craftsmanship is superb just like the rest of your line up of beautiful engines.

Best regards,
Dave

That's a very beautiful engine you have built Orrin!

Great photo's too.

Thanks

Simply Beautiful Orrin...this has always been one of my favorites and is still on the to-do list. We definitely need a video :) Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Bill

Very nice work, Orrin. The Rider-Ericsson is always a hit at any show and I am sure yours drew a big crowd at Gears.
Thanks for the photos.
Gail in NM

By the way Orrin, since this is now finished, it would be great if you could also post the pictures in the finished engine section which was added recently. That area is just for pictures and vids and a brief intro with a link to the build thread (if there is one).

Bill

Thank you, all, for your kind and generous words; but, let me tell you a little story.

All of you ought to see Dave-from-Boise's elegant creations. I went to GEARS feeling fat and sassy and then took a look at his Essex fan. Suddenly, I felt very humble. Gentlefolk, you need to see Dave's exquisite workmanship. You never, ever, will see anything better, anywhere. Period.

There are no construction photos and that is just as well. You don't want to learn my bad habits. :) There is a fairly good construction write-up in the book Steam and Stirling Engines: You Can Build.

I understand your wishes for a video, but being bandwidth-challenged have never gotten into them. This time I'll make an attempt. I'll try, but don't get your hopes up.

Best regards,

Orrin

Orrin

You are too kind! but thanks very much for the complements.

Dave

I haven't learned how to include a video within a post, yet, so I'll just give the link:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuW5uj_22ao[/ame]

This is my first Youtube experience, so I'm still learning.

Orrin

Back