Just a bit of a gripe.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Name and shame then we will know who to avoid.

I don't think that's the right way to do things. I didn't set out to embarrass anyone or get them upset, just venting a gripe. When I see comments that I consider unjust, not warranted, completely irrelevant or pushing their way as the only way, I get hot under the collar. Everyone is entitled to comment, but they should consider the comments of others as well.

Paul.

Where I work I have heard comments about what a great carpenter/builder I am (this is a college theater scene shop I manage). What they don't know is how many mistakes I made to get there because one definition of a good carpenter is that he can quickly hide his mistakes.

I haven't got a build going at the moment or I would post some pics...well, I do have a pennsy A3 in 3/4" scale that I've been working on for years but haven't done anything to speak of for the last few.

As to model IC engines, the comments of many in this thread have been right on. Getting valves to seat, etc. I have never gotten my Lil Brother to run more than a few seconds. I worked on big ones and could get them going but small hit and miss I don't quite know how to trouble shoot. Is it ignition or fuel... So I putter with it a while and get frustrated and then drop it for another year or few years.

So you beginners hang in there and post and ask questions and suggest things and ignore flames. Flames are the natural byproduct of "internal combustion".

Paul (from MI, USA)

Will Rogers had some good sayings, three of which are quite pertinent to this thread:

1. Never miss a good chance to shut up.

2. A man only learns in two ways: one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.

3. Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

long time looking and enjoy all the builds you guys do you all have helped me to get better as go. keep up the good work and I will keep looking and enjoying all of it.

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." - Wayne Dyer

All forums have these issues. It used to bother me when somebody just needed to be "that guy" or just had to show how smart they were, or weren't. I'm over it. If the person is actually asking for help and I have some to offer, I do. If I honestly think my input is beneficial, I post. If I had more time to read and comment on new members' projects I would.

I think that for every one of "those people" you have 10-20 who are supportive on most forums. That ratio is much higher here. Encouraging and responding to newbies will make them feel at home.

Some of those who are difficult on forums are just that way, but some are going through tough times. Forum rules and moderators should sort that out if it becomes an issue.

Greg

Back