Jumbo LTD Stirling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder keg

Reaction score
I don't even know if this will run, but, I'm going to give it a shot. While I'm going to school I want to take advantage of the CNC equipment there. And the opportunity to learn. I am fascinated about the way Stirling engines run and am building a small one. I am always on the outlook for a new project and I've decided to try and make a big LTD Stirling. It will be about 2.5 times bigger than my little one.

JumboLTD001.jpg

These are the pieces I've gathered up so far. 3 sheets of 1/4" thick aluminum plate and a piece of polyethylene plastic tube 12" OD X 11.5" ID machined from a piece of 2" plate. The aluminum will become the top and bottom plates and the flywheel. Most of the construction details will be similar to my small LTD. The flywheel in the picture is for my smaller version. It measures 5" on the outside.

If anyone has any input I'd really appreciate it.

Wes

Go for it Wes. If anyone could make it work, it'd be you. Looking forward to the progress.

I can't imagine it wouldn't run. It's only a question of how much heat is needed relative to overcome the friction and other forces. It should make a great model to be proud of!

Best,

BW

It should run? It works good in my head:O)

The flywheel will have curved spokes. The top and bottom plates might have a slight recess milled all the way around so I can put some sealer in there? This one will get bearings for the crank for sure. I haven't decided on the con rods yet? The power cylinder will be Bronze. I have plenty of that:O) Ill start some drawings this week. I've got all the hard to find stuff for this one. Accept some bigger Graphite bar stock. I'll get some 2 1/2" Payday.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, Wes

I'm toying around with the idea of making the flywheel pedestal out of hardwood for my big engine? The shaft would be about 3/4" in diameter. This should work OK, Right?

Wes

I've decided against wood for the pedestal. I think I'll just make it out of brass. I'll have to solder the pieces together though. It will be more durable. If my little engine runs, my jumbo will be fairly similar in design.

Wes

Back