jowitt poppet steam engine, Inlet valve does not make sense to me... what am i missing? Can someone explain?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elias

Reaction score
https://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Jowitt_build_3.htmlI plan to build this one, but I prefers to make my own drawing and make some adjustments, re-drawing the models I can understand one thing.

My problem:
On the inlet side, the valve does not make sense to me...
From what I see the valve seat only "opens" a passage to the fitting between the ø4 rod and the tightly fitted hole it slides in, not really changes flow directions for the pressure.

The exhaust side I get, the valve opens and let the pressure relieve and go out the exhaust hole, closed it seals off the exhaust.

steame.JPG

Can anyone explain how the inlet valve is supposed to function?
I'm starting to get frustrated here :)

Best.
Elias

On the valve Parts drawing, there is shown the Inlet Valve Seating, screwed M10 x 1.0. You will note the countersunk valve seat therein. The Inlet Valve Seating screws into the end of the cylinder. The valve head sits in the countersunk area until actuated. This then allows steam/air into the valve cavity and thus into the cylinder.

The valve head does not sit in the valve bore as you have shown. You need to re-look at all the drawings again.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

That's my write up & drawings and as Dave saythe longer inlet valve allows the head to seat on the screwed in brass inlet. Horizontal section should make it clearer

jowitt section.JPG

jowitt valve seat.JPG

Last edited:
Of course, now that I see it it's obvious that it must be mounted like that.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back