Jonkman Stirling 60 Variant

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was impressed with Jeroen Jonkman's Stirling '60' and decided to have a go.
This is my second Stirling and I wasn't keen on the two tier arrangement (everyone has their own preference), so I decided to keep it at one level and do it all in brass.
I have transferred the idea into SolidWorks to make things easier.
With hindsight I should have amended a few details to make construction easier.

At first I wasn't keen on the idea of brass on brass for the piston/cylinder combination but hey it does work.
I think the finning should be greater as there is a fair amount of heat getting up there.

The base was the biggest dilemma.
I chose to do a sort of tiered base which if fabricated would have cost around £30 here in the UK. Machining from solid was out of the question as I don#t have CNC (In progress!)
So, I decided to have a go at casting the main form and then cleaning it up with various lathe mill techniques.

I had cast aluminium before but not brass so this was a new experience for me.
First attempt lead to a short pour and too low a temperature.
Second resulted in the casting I used. I know it has defects but hey.. I would never finish the project if I was to attain perfection.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xMl4lokQpg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUnHIQQMyv3UwEX2dY4B__EA[/ame]

Overall I am very pleased with this engine and my gratitude goes to Jeroen for providing the plans.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjkI6os0mU8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUnHIQQMyv3UwEX2dY4B__EA[/ame]

Stirling 60.jpg

Stirling 60 parts.jpg

Cast base.jpg

Stirling 60_1.jpg

I'm impressed. That's a nice looking engine and I must admire your casting ability.

Jim

No, it is bored out very thin to about 0.5mm wall but the end is drilled as close as I dared to keep the weight down.
Did try spinning a form but after 5 goes I gave up and turned the darn thing!! :)

well, you did great turning it! That thin and it didn't deform at all - that's why I asked if it was solid.

Good job on that engine!

because this is on my bucket list, where did you get the glass cylinder?

well, you did great turning it! That thin and it didn't deform at all - that's why I asked if it was solid.

Good job on that engine!

because this is on my bucket list, where did you get the glass cylinder?

I used a 16mm od test tube and cut it to length with a diamond wheel.

Beautiful job on that Stirling 60. Did you get your Kerzel straighten out?

Beautiful job on that Stirling 60. Did you get your Kerzel straighten out?

Thank you.
The Kerzel got pushed to one side for a while. It does run nicely now but I still have had problems with the ignition circuit. Its probably because I am trying to hide it all in the base of the model and its a bit tight.
I will be getting back to it soon and hope to post on here.

Back