John Deere

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesfitton

Reaction score
My question - brief as possible...

for such ancillary equipment as balers and such, What gear form would this world famous company have used? I'm talking early years here, maybe even 19-oh-whatever..

The readers' digest version...

My friend - I'll call him Henry - was displaying a very vintage straw baler at a local ploughing match. Medium sized, open frame, no safety anything. The straw was a bit wet, a pillow block shifted a bit, and a huge bull gear and a few pinion gears decided that it was time for a bit of dental work.

I'm doing a bit of homework in order to help him out, Maybe offer to make the pinions, and I can't even picture the size of equipment that would be needed to remake or repair the big gear. I only saw it the one time - it may be as much as 4' dia.

Regardless, even if I can get the correct nomenclature for the gear form its a start. Hints on repairing the big gear would be nice too.

I'm thinking take a mold/pattern from the good section...drill and pin with steel rods, and cast brass to replace the broken teeth...

Thanks gents..

There are many period turn of the century machining and machine repair , machine blacksmiting books available on google books and Archive.org.

These should give some procedures . Sorry do not have a title or chapter off hand.
Sounds like you are on the right track the other option is to cut a dovetail and dovetail a new tooth in.
Tin

It is entirely possible to build up a new tooth with weld then grind it to shape, have done this and seen it done to good effect on farm machinery on several occasions.
Regards Terry

I'm still hoping to find out details of the gear pitch and form, as well as any suggestions about repair options.

f

For larger tooth forms they were actually cast to shape way back when. As to what the tooth profile might have been I can't say. The only two that I know of are 14-1/2 and 20 pressure angle of which the former is the earliest. If the teeth are too large to weld then they can be machined and welded on.
gbritnell

Back