jo-blocks or guage blocks

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dethrow55

Reaction score
hello all just picked up a vintage set of jo-block 60s-70s ebay deal. they are in very good shape no rust, hardly any ware. is there an oil that shoud be used on these? since finger prints cause rust. cleaning with mineral spirits and putting up without touching them. thanks all here a picture
1.jpg

Unless you are doing a lot of setups with the blocks, they may sit for months between uses. For that, I use LPS-3, and clean before and after use with acetone or MEK and a dedicated chamois. If you are using them daily, a thorough wipe with a silicone "gun & reel"cloth after cleaning should suffice.

Consider silica gel packs placed inside the box and store the box in a dry place inside your house. They are vintage for a reason.

I pickup my set back 1970's
Use the blocks Very time the set but when need you have the blocks

Dave

Consider silica gel packs placed inside the box and store the box in a dry place inside your house. They are vintage for a reason.
that a good idea but where can they be gotten? thanks james

I found gel pack ever time a purchase a item and recharge in hot summer day. Recharging in sun seem to it work

Dave

that a good idea but where can they be gotten? thanks james

Silica Gel in bulk is used to dry flowers so any hobby or flower shop should have it. You will then need to package the gel in cloth pouches and placing it in the oven will remove the moisture. It can be reused many times.

VPI( vapor phase inhibitor) packs will prevent rust and not leave a deposit on the surfaces. You won't have to be so fastidious about handling and putting away without a wipe down. Amazon sells them. Look for Zerust products.

WOB

Last edited:
NEVER put vapor packs in with precision ground metals. NEVER let them contact precision ground surface they absorb moisture, as they are supposed to, and will cause discoloration and ultimately rust. (don't ask how I know this).

Use a high-grade lanolin lubricant on the surfaces and wipe them with a clean, soft cloth prior to use.

Lanolin grease is available from Flexbar. http://www.flexbar.com/shop/pc/home.asp.

X-cuse me I should have said SILICA GEL Packs, VPI is OK, different stuff. Silica Gel is a moisture absorbent. VPI works differently. I've used VPI paper for long term storage of tooling. good stuff but hard to find.

Sorry, typed too fast and didn't re-read what I typed.

Jim

When you apply in my country for instrumentmakers class the first test is to hold some blank steel squares. If after a week your fingerprints have not caused rust you may continue. If not sure about the rust-quality of your fingers I suggest you handle the blocks with cotton gloves - also usefull for handling fine machinery like clocks.

Latest posts

Back