Jim builds his second v-8

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,
I have to admit the gear pump looks much easier, it's good to see it in running condition again.
Greg can you expound a bit on the formulas for figuring volume of flow for gear pumps?
Art

I was planning to go with the gear pump but after contemplating all the plumbing and pump drive mechanism needed the splash system looked quicker. Found though putting dippers on v8 rods more challenging than expected. Keep in mind the splash dippers on the caps of a v8 don't come straight down into the pan. I had to spend some time on the cad system developing the caps, interference and all to deal with you know.

Last edited:
It was running great until I loomed the ignition wires together. Must be getting lots of crossfire. Removed the loom, separated the wires and it returned to running well. I'm using 1/8 in. od test lead wire for ignition wire. It a little big too. If I could find smaller dia. wire, 22 gauge maybe, with a higher voltage rating 20kv maybe, I'd try it. Anyone know what's best for my purpose? My current plan is to make some cable spacers to keep the individual wires separated but would rather place them in a loom. Help!

If you are in a hurry I have about 20 feet here in the garage. I will be in the garage all day tomorrow. You can take what you need and replace mine when your order shows up.

Crossfire might be more from induction than insulation so I'm not too sure changing the wires will help much. Hopefully, some readers will offer some incite.
Thanks though for the fine offer. If the drive wasn't so long I do it. More than wire though I'd like to see your shop. Anyway, I think that trip will have to wait. I've got lots yet to do so its not like I'm stopped. Like I need make a base, air cleaner, seal up some leaks, get the electronics in the base and make a gas tank. I used the carb from the Victory so I'm going to have to do something about a carburetor.
Interestingly, I improved the ignition lots by including a 20k resistor in the coil HT wire. Don't understand why it helps but it does. Anyway, if I don't bundle the sparkplug wires it'll idle at a tick and rev like a Demon, oops, race engine. If I do it'll idle like crap and won't rev at all. Doesn't smoke too bad but does some. Its smoking less as the run time builds. Running it in my shop though is killing me. Need to vent it somehow I guess. I'll have to add that to the list.
Thanks again for the offer.

Last edited:
Well, I've been away from the forum for a while.
Got back to the v8 and think I've gone about as far with it as I'm going to. My first v8 I named Victory. This one I named Ultimate Victory because it tested me to the max. It runs really well. It'll idle all day and not heat up. As expected, the more it gets broken in the cooler it runs. (pretty typical). I've tried several home brewed carburetors and found none of them perform up to the level of the OS so I think my next project is going to be the development of my own carburetor just so I can say I designed one. I intend to display/run the UV at NAMES in Detroit later this month. Hope to see some of you there. Be sure to mention you saw it on the forum. It's hard not to run it every day, you know how it is when they're new. Hope I don't blow a rod or something before the show. Thanks for following. Sorry for the gap.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li-jH8XNZFY[/ame]

Latest posts

Back