jib crane hoist swing boom planning and constructive advice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
next week I think the beams will be delivered to me, I will take pictures during construction for any corrections thanks again for the right advice, a friend of mine advised me to add a pole with a wheel at the cantilevered end of the lame crane beam, what do you think of it as a solution? let me know thanks again

I have not yet started, I must get the material, however, thanks to the valuable suggestions, however I do not have to lift big loads I put as maximum capacity 500 kg, but I do not think that ever lift a load so heavy, it will be like a crane of what are built on the boats, a column a swivel crosspiece and a hoist with a diagonal tie rod to support the structure and the cantilever load, I do not know what is called in marine jargon a similar lifting frame, nothing mammoth to clarify, thanks again anyway if you have other advice, please, thank you
Your beam alone would weight about 50kg - this has to be added to any load you want to lift!
The blue crane has a counterweight and the white one a base which support the torques and forces applied due to the load - these are perfect different to what you want to build.

There is a very important statement in this page:
Any structure to which the Jib is mounted should be certified for this purpose by a registered structural engineer.

Once again: if you cannot do the math and/or if you do not have the knowledge about static/mechanics get someone certified to do it for you.

Thomas

I clarified that I do not have to use this device in a company open to the public and I have no employees no workers who could be injured in case of failure, but the structure will use only me in a farm shed on a farm in my property therefore in case of accidents due to poor construction or improper use I will respond personally, so who causes his illness to cry himself, premesso this I must reiterate that the beams were not delivered, a friend of mine surveyor told me that the beam stressed bending could bear the weight of 570 kg
and the deformation in the center line goes up to 2 cm

if we are safe in operation at max the steel works at 1600 kg / cmq

an IPE 100 has a resistance module of 34 cmc

the maximum effort that it can sustain is 54400 kgxcm that is 544 kgxm

being the three meter long beam and the concentrated load

in the middle (in safety) the beam can support a maximum of 725 kg

for pharmaceutical refinements

<Http://www.oppo.it/calcoli/travi/trave_acc.php>

note well

in addition to the extent of the beam itself you must also reason

on the deformation of the beam, that is on how much it can annoy that
the beam is inflected when it is under load

with the 725 kg of which above the center line the beam is lowered a little more than 1 cm

as promised when I build the slewing jib crane I attach photos so that you can judge my work, thank you again for your kind availability and your precious time, excuse me if I bored you with my questions, thanks again for the precious suggestions thanks

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=1299

http://lshapedgarage.blogspot.it/2014/05/milling-machine-setup.html
http://lh3.ggpht.com/-aA_sEp-J1wo/U2bnzGZIe-

I/AAAAAAAALPA/wWgScXh2kC4/s1600/IMG_6521%2525282%252529%25255B4%25255D.jpg

http://crane.fourbestgoal.site/homemade-shop-jib-crane/

https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/70248/Wall-Mounted-Rotating-Jib-Crane

sketch_090F8483-F591-FADA-68FDE162622CD792.bmp

http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/...ist-load-weigh-300-lb-determinethe-re-q311614

http://crane.fourbestgoal.site/homemade-shop-jib-crane/

As I see, you have decided to do it, so I advise for you:
Be careful with it !

today I got the H beams I'm preparing the fixing plates, I have to cut the beams to size, when I start to weld and to assemble the poster structure some photos, just to have your opinion, you were so kind to provide me with all those useful advice, in my part is said four ochhi see better than two, thanks again for the valuable advice and suggestions thank you

DSCN4169.JPG
DSCN4170.JPG
DSCN4171.JPG
DSCN4172.JPG
DSCN4173.JPG
DSCN4174.JPG

some illustrative photos I hope clear an image in my opinion better than a hundred words
DSCN4175.JPG
DSCN4176.JPG
DSCN4178.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4177.JPG
    DSCN4177.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 199
DSCN4178.JPG
DSCN4183.JPG
DSCN4184.JPG
DSCN4185.JPG
DSCN4174.JPG
DSCN4175.JPG
DSCN4175.JPG

I am setting the beams, when I go ahead with the work I will put if you please other images to testify the progress of the work and have your very welcome opinion and opinion thanks again

next week, I begin to weld the various components and to assemble the device, I'll keep you informed of course, thanks again for the valuable advice thanks again.

DSCN4186.JPG
DSCN4187.JPG
DSCN4188.JPG

I'm bashing the rafters, I hope Saturday to finish welding and bolting the jib crane to the reinforced concrete column, if you notice errors or believe that it should make changes or corrections I invite you to correct me and criticize my work thanks, as a diagonal tow strap a large chain and a screw turner. what do you think? Thanks for the attention

Hi Babolottino. I admire anyone who wants to try and achieve something for themselves but not if that means unnecessary risk. I am writing this with the best of intention but I suspect you have very limited resources and little or no training.
My advice on lifting equipment has been to use expert advice which in fairness you have tried on this site. However there are no engineers on this or any other site capable of helping you design lifting equipment just from your descriptions and a few photos. Advice that you are going to ignore anyway because as you say it is only your own risk. I am not sure how you will guarantee that but you will do this regardless.
So in the interest of reducing the risk to yourself and any unsuspecting persons in the future I have one final piece of advice.
Before you go any further you really should practice welding and learn what is a good or bad weld. Learn about techniques, penetration and weld preparation. Then practice, practice and practice some more. When you are confident that you can weld correctly then revisit this project. Grind out the welds you have done so far, prep everything correctly and weld it all up.
That will not make this project safe but it will be one less risk.

I have to redo the welds I know, I have to lift the beam to H and bolted to the column in reinforced concrete, however, thanks to I put photos work in progress for any corrections thanks for the report, photo to witness the progress of work thanks again
137720d1429785761-winch-bed-gin-pole-trucks-20150423_112541.jpg

Jib%20Crane.gif
rotating-column-rotaty-jib-crane.jpg

p067.gif
VMxMy.png

cranefull.gif

rotating-column-rotaty-jib-crane.jpg

Its a simple thing to supply a simple line diagram/schematic of your setup with max load shown
at the extreme end of the horizontal for max moment force. He will then size the sections as min.
You of course are over engineering,which is more expensive and unpredictable. Lifting equipment
even in the home workshop should be tested AND CERTIFIED which is easier with the structural calcs

If you have concrete pillar in a vertically compressed situation the last thing you want to do is apply a horizontal force to it. If you floor is of good substantial concrete construction it would be better to bolt a commercially available unit like this to that. But as stated time and time again in this post seek professional advice because if it fails when you are using the equipment you won't be able to stop it.
Lifting beam.JPG

I made it with the motor mounted to the wall (you have to mount it to the "tower" because of the "swing-facility") and a "cat" with 2 pulleys to get a little more height under the hook.:

More details here in danish but you can Google Translate to the right just under the menu line - choose whatever language you like in the combobox:

https://kelds.weebly.com/loslashbekran.html

DSCN4199.JPG
DSCN4200.JPG
DSCN4201.JPG
DSCN4202.JPG
DSCN4203.JPG
DSCN4203.JPG

Ho inserito delle barre a forma di L per proteggere gli angoli del pilastro

DSCN4204.JPG

DSCN4205.JPG
DSCN4206.JPG
DSCN4207.JPG
DSCN4208.JPG

Now that you are finished :) I would like to have seen the puzzle posed in terms of what you want to move, where you want it to go, and what is in the way. If heavy objects or extended lengths are needed, you could attach an A-frame of any capacity and rolling on casters, to the end of your horizontal beam. Proper rolling supports could be used in numerous configurations on either side of the load and should eliminate the leverage forces from your wall. All should be obvious after you use it a few times.

Thanks for posing the question. It prompted some stability mods for my 2-T engine crane which can be unstable when boom is extended. BTW, pallet jack wheels and Harbor Freight floor jack parts lend themselves to this sort of thing with prices approaching $1/lb.

Consider changing the light duty turnbuckle for a marine version with forked ends and clevis pins that are retained with cotter pins. I have seen the light duty turn buckles fail as they are intended for clothes drying lines.

I dont think you have listened to anyones advice.Yes you have overengineered and it SHOULD be ok
However professional calcs at the start would have given you peace of mind,legal liability in the event of
an accident and would probably have been cheaper.You should still have it tested and certified by a professional

I like it better than what I thought you were constructing - I thought from some of the drawings you were bolting the entire upper structure to the pillar rather than attaching a full length H beam to floor. So I would agree, it looks as it will probably stand up to the forces you need it to. I still don't think I'd have the courage to install/use it myself, though I wish you the very best of luck!

Latest posts

Back